Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Emma Dilemma Series



Emma Dilemma and the New Nanny

My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Emma's family has 5 children. The father is a pilot and the mom works a lot. They can't seem to keep nannies, due to the mom firing them all. Annie, the new Irish nanny, comes along, and the kids fall in love with her.

It's obvious that lessons are to be taken away from these books. I just didn't like the lessons I took away from them. (I am an adult, though!) I'll let you know now that while I had hesitations with this book, it's the next one in the series that caused me more alarm.

SPOILERS!!!!

Emma lies a lot! At the start of the book, she wants to take her pet ferret to school. She comes up with a plan to sneak him out of the house, so she's not technically lying to her mom. When her mom starts asking questions, though, she flat out lies to her. THEN, Annie helps her sneak the ferret out anyway! When the ferret ends up biting a boy at school, the mom finds out anyway. Emma gets grounded for a week, but according to her, it's not so bad. Great lesson learned, huh?!

Although sweet, Annie is a very irresponsible nanny. I couldn't imagine keeping her as a nanny to my precious children after everything she hides from the mom. But they do keep her, despite all the other nannies not being good enough.

END SPOILERS

While this particular one isn't horrible, there's better reading options, in my opinion.


Emma Dilemma and the Two Nannies


My Rating: 2/5 stars

My Thoughts:

In this title, Emma's behavior gets worse! Now don't get me wrong. I don't think a book character has to be perfect in middle grade books, but Emma is not a good role model in the slightest kind of way. Her parents aren't either! Emma has some major lying/stealing problems, and once again, I just don't think she's learning her lesson. Too many things are hidden from the parents with the help of Annie, too. I know kids will hide things from their parents. Mine will! These characters just lie and scheme too much, though.

The parents! I was annoyed toward the end that they were portrayed as terrified out of their minds at the thought of having to take care of their own children ALL BY THEMSELVES...for 3 WHOLE weeks. The horror! :P

Plus, this part made me furious.....

There is a girl in class crying and telling the teacher about being bullied. This is what Emma has to say as she attempts to hide her smile...

"And then they got into the Big Talk about bullying. Bullying was the main topic in school these days, and Emma thought it was silly. If someone made fun of you, you got even, that is all. There were all sorts of ways to do that. And if someone punched you, you punched them back. Big deal."

What a message for young minds! Bullying is funny. If only bullying were so simple, too!

This series could have been cute and it had potential, but I just can't recommend it.

*I was provided a review copy of both books through Amazon Vine in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you that these are not books with messages I would want to read to my kids!

    ReplyDelete