Thursday, April 11, 2013

Unrivaled by Siri Mitchell



Bethany House Publishers (March 1, 2013) 400 pages

My Rating: 3.5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

When Lucy returned from a tour of Europe, she found her father in bed recovering from a heart attack. She also discovered her mother plotting behind his back to sell their beloved candy business. Of course, her mother is only thinking of the stress the business has caused him. Lucy makes a deal with her mother to give her a month to come up with a new candy that will steal the hearts of everyone away from their biggest competitor, Standard Manufacturing. Standard's best-selling candy, Royal Taffy, is one tough candy to outdo, though!

Charlie has allowed himself to be pulled in with the wrong crowd. He spends too much time in prison because of the job he has, but he has to provide for his mother. Charlie's dad left them to fend for themselves years before. When the opportunity arrives to work with his dad at Standard Manufacturing, he reluctantly agrees.

When Lucy and Charlie meet, they don't know that they are actually rivals. They soon learn the truth, though.

As much as I try to stay away from reviews of books I'm due to review, I couldn't help but see many of my blogger friends didn't like this book. I hate to say I was really dreading reading it. It was only with great reluctance that I finally knew I had to finally pick it up. I was pleasantly surprised! I liked it! I didn't love it, but I liked it.

I enjoyed it as a light, entertaining book. I was thrilled at the humor throughout. I snickered and even laughed quite a few times! I can't say that the main characters are my favorite ever, but they were entertaining. They were pretty selfish people, but they grow, as you would expect. I didn't overly like how everything was tied up at the end.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

Was the candy recipe that Lucy comes up with at the end not the same thing that Sam and Jennie discovered? Wasn't it actually their recipe, not Lucy's? Did I miss something? I was trying to finish this book up while taking care of 3 little ones, so I may have missed some details.

END SPOILER ALERT

Overall, Unrivaled wasn't my favorite book of Mitchell's, but I still enjoyed it. Plus, I just love that pretty blue dress on the cover! ;)

*I was provided a review copy through Litfuse Publicity in exchange for my honest opinion.



Celebrate Unrivaled with Siri Mitchell by entering to win a Kindle Fire and joining her on April 18th for a Facebook Author Chat Party!



Unrivaled-giveaway-300
 


One "swooning" winner will receive:

  • A Kindle Fire
  • Vintage Candy Kit
  • Unrivaled by Siri Mitchell (one for you and one for a friend!)
Enter today by clicking one of the icons below. But hurry, the giveaway ends on April 17th. Winner will be announced at the "Unrivaled" Author Chat Facebook Party on 4/18. Connect with Siri, get a sneak peek of her next book, try your hand at a trivia contest, and chat with readers just like yourself. There will also be gift certificates, books, vintage candy kits, and more!



So grab your copy of Unrivaled and join Siri on the evening of the April 18th for a chance to connect with Siri and make some new friends. (If you haven't read the book - don't let that stop you from coming!)

Don't miss a moment of the fun, RSVP today. Tell your friends via FACEBOOK or TWITTER and increase your chances of winning. Hope to see you on the 18th!

5 comments:

  1. You've had a blog redesign since I've last been here too! I love it. :)

    How's the family doing??

    I've heard similar comments on this book from other bloggers, not their favorite but enjoyable nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I never actually finished it, but thank you!! :)

      We're doing great! You know we added another little boy to our family, right? Now we're a family of 5. ;)

      It was definitely enjoyable. I think we were all a little harder on the book since it was Siri, and her other books are amazing.

      I'm so glad you are blogging a bit again! I've missed you! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the dress on the cover so much; just wish I had enjoyed the characters and the story as much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I'm a sucker for a pretty blue dress on any book cover. :)

      Delete
  3. I totally get it that when you see other bloggers not really liking a book you have yet to review it puts a damper on things. Good thing the humour in this one pulled you through!

    ReplyDelete