Friday, April 26, 2013

The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen



Bethany House Publishers (January 1, 2013) 416 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Emma Smallwood and her dad have a school for boys. Emma seems to take on more and more of the responsibilities as her father falls deeper into depression. When the opportunity arises for them to tutor the youngest Weston boys at the Weston home, they decide to take the job. After all, they currently have no students, which means no income. Plus, they are both hoping the change of scenery will be just the thing her dad needs to pull himself out of his depression.

Once they arrive at the Weston home, though, it becomes obvious they are hiding something. From the chilly welcome to the spooky noises, Emma doesn't know what to think of her new home.

As much as I enjoyed The Tutor's Daughter, I think I would have liked it so much more if I could have read it a bit quicker. Reading "real"(paper) books these days have become so hard and it seemed to be taking me forever. I just adore Julie's writing, so I assure you I *wanted* to devour this book! The Tutor's Daughter has a Jane Austen/Jane Eyre feel to it. I've never read any of those books, so that's purely from the movie experiences I've had. :S I read The Maid of Fairbourne Hall, which has a "Downtown Abbey" feel to it, last year and became an instant Klassen fan,

I really enjoyed the mysteries in this book, too! I love a good mystery that has me wanting to turn the pages, without leaving me scared, and looking over my shoulder. There was a great group of amazing characters, and I especially liked Emma. How can you not like someone who loves books so much?! She even gives up precious space in her trunk that should be for clothes, so she can carry more books with her.

If you like Recency type books, with a small dose of "gothic", then don't hesitate to pick up The Tutor's Daughter! I hope to read the rest of Klassen's books in the near future.

*I was provided a review copy through Bethany House in exchange for my honest opinion.

4 comments:

  1. This book owes a lot of its plot points to Austen/Eyre, I can assure you! That was kind of a problem for me because it just felt so familiar but I liked the twists Klassen put on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read some actually Austen/Eyre!!! :) Maybe this will be the year!

      Delete
  2. I've read good stuff about this one. I liked two previous books by Klassen so I might try this one since I like Jane Eyre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the 2nd of her books I've read, and I love her writing! They did have a similar feel to them.

      Delete