Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Rose Throne by Mette Ivie Harrison



EgmontUSA (May 14, 2013) 400 pages

My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Thoughts:

The Rose Throne is the story of two princesses. Ailsbet and Marissa(Issa). They live in a world full of "weyrs". The women are supposed to be born with "neweyr", which is a magical ability that is tune with nature. They keep the plants thriving and manipulate them to grow where they should. The men are supposed to be born with "taweyr", which is the ability to cause death and pain. There's those who are born with no weyr(unweyr) and the unlucky ones who are born with the wrong weyr(ekhonos). The ekhonos are hunted down and killed.

Ailsbet is the princess in a land where newyr is forbidden from being practiced. Her father is a cruel man, and will stop at nothing to get exactly what he wants, even if it means killing those he should love. Ailsbet has been labeled as an unweyr, to her father's great disappointment. Issa is the princess of a land where neweyr thrives, and her power is one of the strongest. She's lived a protected and innocent life thus far.

The lives of both princesses are changed dramatically when Princess Issa is asked to marry Ailsbet's much younger brother, and Ailsbet makes a discovery about herself she wasn't expecting.

I'm going to assume this is going to be a series, because if not, that would have to be the worst ending EVER! It definitely seems to lead up to another book, though.

I was a bit confused at first with all the "weyrs". They eventually fell into place in my mind, though, and reading became much easier. I still don't know what I think about the characters that are left. Ailsbet has potential, but I still don't overly like her. She's learned to be tough and hide how she feels. Many of her actions seem contradictory to what I seem to know of her. I'm curious where the future will take her! There's still a bit of mystery left that I'm especially curious about involving a possible love interest for her. Kellin is from her land, so he's learned to be tough and hide his feelings also. That may be his problem for me, too. I like him well enough, but probably not as much as I should considering he's such a big part of the story. And Issa. She's adorable! She almost comes across as a delicate flower, but she's trying hard to prove her worth. I imagine even greater things are in store for her future.

In the end, I didn't end up liking this book as much as I thought I would. But! I'm still really looking forward to reading more. I think The Rose Throne will be most appreciated by a younger teen audience.

Content:
No profanity. There's a bit of *somewhat* mature kissing. There is some violence, but it's mostly just mentioned in passing to the best of my memory. There's a great deal of killing.

*I was provided an e-ARC through Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

4 comments:

  1. I recently finished this one too and was kind of disappointed in it. I'm not sure if there will be sequels or if it was meant to be a vague ending. I didn't end up much caring for any of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Endings THAT vague annoy me, so for that reason, I hope there is more! :S

      Delete
  2. Fantasy is not really a genre my daughter and I read, but occasionally we may read some fantasy that is really good. We'll skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fantasy aspect of this one was actually VERY light compared to most fantasy books. I'd still skip it if y'all don't read much fantasy! There's too many GREAT ones to pick, in my opinion. :)

      Delete