Saturday, April 20, 2013

Moon Over Edisto by Beth Webb Hart



Thomas Nelson (February 12, 2013) 320 pages

My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Thoughts:

20 years ago, Mr. Bennett left his family to start a new one with his daughter's friend. All these years later, even after his death, his first family is struggling with hurt and confusion.

Julia is an artist, like her dad. She's engaged, but maybe not to the right guy. When her former friend, Marty, her dad's second wife, announces she has cancer, Julia has to decide if she is willing to return to Edisto to care for her 3 half-siblings during recovery time.

This book started a little slow for me. It actually took me a couple of attempts before getting into it. The chapters alternate between quite a few characters, and it took some time to sort through all of them. After I did, I actually enjoyed the many points of view.

Moon Over Edisto is a story of healing and forgiveness. It has a sad, overall tone to it. My heart went out to the children! They were so neglected, it just made me mad. While Marty is represented as a loving mother, it was shameful at the living conditions those children had to endure.

I enjoyed all the artistic references made! I don't have an artistic bone in my body, but I do enjoy reading about those who do. :)

Spoiler Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't like the relationship progress in this story. In my opinion, when you have a fiance, you don't go on dates with other men. You also don't hug other men for comfort that you might have feelings for. Don't get me wrong. If you're having second thoughts about that fiance, by all means, don't marry him! I wish there was more honesty going on in regards to the fiance. Julia was cheating, in my opinion, even though there was no kissing while engaged. It was never addressed as such to satisfy me, in the end.

End Spoiler

If you enjoy slower books with a sad tone, tough issues, and little romance, Moon Over Edisto might be a good match for you. If you enjoy lighter, up beat Christian romance, I'd go elsewhere. In general, I tend to go more towards "light and fluffy". I did still find it enjoyable, though!

*I was provided a review copy through Booksneeze in exchange for my honest opinion.



6 comments:

  1. This sounds kinda awesome to me. Great review. I'm off to sample it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!!!! I hope you like it! :)

      I feel like this is one that got overlooked a great deal due to the cover. I hate that for the author, because I DO think it's a great book for its target audience.

      Delete
  2. I'll skip this one. I'm trying to stay away from books with a sad tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I even stay away from the news!

      Delete
  3. PS (unrelated topic) Is your email bluerosesheart(at)yahoo(.)com?
    Lena wrote you about the eBook you won.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the right address. I didn't get an e-mail from her, though. I even checked my spam folder. :S

      Delete