Sunday, March 3, 2013

To Whisper Her Name by Tamera Alexander



October 23, 2012; Zondervan (473 pages)

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Olivia Aberdeen is a widow, but she's not too unhappy about that. Her late husband, Charles, was not only abusive to her, but he was also a traitor to the South. Not to mention, he cheated many people out of their hard earned money. She comes to the Belle Meade Plantation thanks to the help of Elizabeth Harding, her late mother's friend. She struggles to fit in, not only because of the fact that society shuns her due to her late husband's faults, but because she is terrified of horses. Belle Meade Plantation is a horse farm, after all. When Ridley Cooper shows up, Olivia has the opportunity to experience a whole new way of life. He's keeping a secret from her, though, and it might just be enough to make her change her mind about him.

When To Whisper Her Name first arrived in the mail, seeing those 473 pages with small typing intimidated me a tiny bit. I don't know why, though, because I typically enjoy longer books more. There's more time to really get to know the characters. To Whisper Her Name was not an exception. I enjoyed it very much! I could relate just a little with Olivia's fear of horses. I don't have an overwhelming fear of them or anything, but those TEETH! :S

Although this is a romantic book, it's not ALL about the romance, which is why I liked it so much. A great portion of the story revolved around the end of slavery, and those former slaves trying to find their place in their new way of life. It was about many different people trying to find acceptance, both from others and themselves. It was about facing fears. It was actually quite a thought provoking book! I adored how Tamera didn't fully explain each and every detail. There's some events and people mentioned briefly, in which she leaves putting the puzzle pieces together to the reader.

Last year, Tamera's A Lasting Impression, quickly became one of my favorite books. It made me smile when a couple of the characters from that story were mentioned in To Whisper Her Name. As most of you probably already know, both of these books are based on real people and real places from the past. Of course, like most fictional books, Tamera does explain some of the liberties she took in the author's note at the end. It does contain spoilers, so save it for last. I've never had a problem reading the end of a book first, but those author's notes are the hardest thing for me to stay away from. I always want so badly to read them first. After running into too many spoilers that way, I refrain now...mostly. :)

*As somewhat of a side note, I'd definitely classify this as an "edgy" romance, just in case that may bother you. There's lots of kisses and "looks" and thoughts mentioned. It's not the "edgiest" I've ever read, by any means, though.

**I was provided a review copy through the Amazon Vine program in exchange for my honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I have this one on my bookshelf. My review partner Sandra read it and loved it. I'll have to make time to read it.

    ReplyDelete