Tuesday, March 26, 2013

That Time I Joined the Circus by J.J. Howard



Point (April 1, 2013) 272 pages

My Rating: 3.5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Alexandra(a.k.a. Lexi, Xandra, or X)is in her senior year of high school. She's quite the music snob, since her dad(Gavyn) hosts a radio show. Her mom left them years earlier and now Lexi hates her, despite the fact that she hasn't seen or heard from her since. Her two best friends, Eli and Bailey, have started dating, which leaves her alone and sad. When Lexi and Eli sleep together, and she discovers her dad was trying to reach her as he died at the same time, her world falls apart. She leaves New York behind, since there's nowhere to go, and joins the circus in order to survive.

I really enjoyed reading this book! Except for the last portion of the story, I'd give it 4 stars. For me, though, the ending kind of dragged, and I didn't necessarily like how it all ended. It's a realistic kind of story, though. It's definitely not an "everything tied in a nice, neat bow" book. It's full of bad choices and broken hearts. It's kind of sad, but at the same time I loved Lexi's sarcastic voice. I found myself laughing quite often throughout the book. When I read that she was a snarky kind of girl in the description, I had my worries that I wouldn't like her, but she's surprisingly quite likable.

The chapters alternate through most of the book from present time to just before/after her dad's death. Little details are slowly revealed, although there's really not a huge mystery to unravel or anything. It does help to see things more clearly, though.

Instead of a love triangle, this story has somewhat of a love square. I can't say I was happy with who she ends up with, but then I'm usually not when it comes to character's love choices in a love triangle or this case, square.

Overall, I DO recommend That Time I Joined the Circus! I had fun reading it, despite the sadness involved.

Content:

The "sex" incident is never described in detail. You just know it happens.
There's only 2(maybe 3) mild words of profanity.
It was pretty clean otherwise!

*I was provided an e-ARC through Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

7 comments:

  1. The premise of this one doesn't call to me for some reason, but glad you enjoyed it despite the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...If I'd read the full description, I probably wouldn't have read it. ;) I'm pretty horrible at going into a book without knowing much. That cover and the circus part drew me in, though.

      Delete
    2. Lol...If I'd read the full description, I probably wouldn't have read it. ;) I'm pretty horrible at going into a book without knowing much. That cover and the circus part drew me in, though.

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cover is pretty awesome! :) Of course, it's the reason I read this one.

      Delete
  3. Ok, I don't think I'd read this one but the title and the cover ARE very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you! :) It was good despite all that stuff that would have turned me away if I'd known before.

      Delete