Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Also Known As by Robin Benway



Walker Childrens (February 26, 2013) 320 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Maggie and her family are spies. Maggie, more specifically, is one of the best safecrackers around, even from an early age. She and her family move around a great deal, changing names, and homes. There's never time to make friends, so it usually makes the move less difficult. When Maggie is assigned a case that involves enrolling in high school, her life includes a great deal of changes, including a couple of friends. It doesn't help that one is a boy, and he's the key to solving her case.

Knowing this book was about a family of spies, I just couldn't resist giving it a try! Where there's spies, there's got to be a bit of mystery, right?! I especially enjoyed that the whole family was involved, as opposed to just Maggie. There was an awesome group of secondary characters, too. Roux has her faults, like all of us, but she was fun, for the most part. I can't say I enjoyed everything about her, but I especially enjoyed her relationship with her doorman. That portion of the story got lots of laughs from me. Then there's Angelo. He's an older spy-friend of the family, and somewhat of a mentor to Maggie. I just loved him! Of course, there's a bit of romance involved, too. It was a very sweet romance, indeed!

As I mentioned above, there is a bit of mystery involved, but more than anything this story is about Maggie learning to live a new life in high school and make new friends. Some struggles with Maggie's family surface as she deals with all the "newness" of her life.

Overall, this was a sweet, fun book!



*Content: Before picking up this book, I read a content review that said this book was very clean with only one word of profanity. Imagine my surprise when I discovered there's closer to 50 words of profanity(I didn't actually count...guesstimate there), and about as many religious expletives. The profanity is mostly mild(he**, a**, da**, bi***, etc) and one bad one(g-da**). I did read an e-ARC, so maybe the final copy doesn't include all that. ?? There's also kissing and drinking at a party. One of the characters get VERY drunk! Other than that, it's clean.

**I was provided an e-ARC through Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

7 comments:

  1. Not a fun surprise, though it does sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a good book, so I'm hoping the final copy did cut out all those extra words!

      Delete
  2. I read an e-ARC of this and I remember it as being pretty clean but I also tried to read this author's Audrey Wait which had a LOT of profanity (f-bombs if I remember correctly). Overall I found this book to be very fun! I loved the characters, plot, and funny moments so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad there wasn't f-bombs! :S

      I agree! This was a really fun book.

      Delete
  3. This is probably not for me but thank you for your review and your content warnings.

    What did you think of the narration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :)

      As far as the narration, I waited entirely too long to actually write up my thoughts after finishing this book. Best I remember, I really liked it. I need to start focusing on things like that better(and taking notes), as opposed to just liking/not liking a book. I'm pretty horrible at doing mindless reading. :S

      Delete
    2. I just remembered I had an audio cover instead of the book cover(it ended up getting changed to this one, so I just used the audio cover). I thought you meant did I like the narrator's voice in writing, but you may have meant the voice narration. ? I didn't actually listen to it, though. :S

      Delete