Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Desperate by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson


Thomas Nelson (January 8, 2013) 240 pages

My Rating 4.5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

As I near the end of my pregnancy, I'm miserable. I'm exhausted, in pain(!!), and ill AS. A. HORNET! My house looks like a tornado swiped through it. My precious little ones rarely get to see "the best of me" these days. As I collapse into bed at night, I'm filled with guilt and frustration because I realize I've did more fussing and complaining at them than I have shown them what a joy they really are to me. When I picked up this book, I was truly desperate! I was so desperate to know that I'm not alone with this battle that I cried reading these women's words. They felt like MINE! They were taking thoughts right out of my head, and I felt such relief.

When I started on the introduction of Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe, I thought, "Wow, this person writes just like Ann Voskamp!" When I got to the end, I realized it was no wonder, because it was Ann Voskamp! You may remember that I didn't care for her book, but I do think she has a beautiful style of writing(mostly). She only has two pages in the book, but I connected with what she wrote along with almost everything Sarah writes, too. Sally is the "wise" writer of this book, so I can't say I connected with her words. Believe me, though, I soaked them in my brain.

At first I wasn't overly fond of the set-up of Desperate. I did eventually see its benefit, though. Each chapter starts out with a letter from Sarah to Sally and then one in response from Sally to Sarah. There's a subject assigned to each chapter, with Sarah writing about the topic first, and then Sally going next. There's Bible verses and challenges at the end of each chapter, too. At the end of the book, Sally has a "Question and Answer" session. I didn't read all of the Q&A part word for word. Some of the questions just didn't apply to my current stage of life/children. I'm sure I'll be referring back later.

I have TONS of quotes marked throughout this book, but this one sums up the whole feel of the book for me!

"I spend hours poring over homeschooling materials. I listen to inspirational audio about homemaking. I read books that encourage me to be a kind and loving wife. I desire to live well. But, as we all know, good intentions don't lead to a life well-lived; a life well-lived is accomplished when we walk each day in faith, keeping our eyes on Jesus and our hearts inclined to His Word.
It is accomplished when we choose right in the little things: to get off the computer when our little one wants us to read them a book. To cuddle when our children watch a movie. To kiss our husbands instead of push them away, so we can finish cooking dinner. To spend an hour making our bookshelf look ordered and pretty. To light a candle at dinner. To take the time to feast on the Word. To pray earnestly and with vulnerability. To hold our tongue when we want to scream. To hug tighter when we want to hurt.
Living out our intentions is not easy, but it is rewarding.
And we do have a choice. We can choose to live little by little."
(pages 143-144, Sarah Mae)

I like that these ladies' biggest advice is "don't take so much advice". It becomes SO overwhelming trying to keep up with everything I'm "supposed" to be doing. I just need to relax(not be lazy!) more than anything and enjoy my children. More than anything, I need to turn to God and His Word through it all. There's chapters on discipline, housework, beautifying your home, etc.

Overall, this is a book that I greatly appreciate. I highly recommend it for mommas out there with little ones(especially multiple little ones).

*I was provided a review copy through Booksneeze in exchange for my honest opinion.

4 comments:

  1. I admit I haven't touched this book because I wasn't sure how it was going to be. I watched a video interview of Sally and Sarah and was not . . . moved. But yours is the second very positive review I've seen.

    I feel for you at the tail end of pregnancy with two little ones already in the picture. There's no use saying "it'll be over before you know it" because it never ends soon ENOUGH. Glad you found some words to encourage you during this time. That's a HUGE blessing!

    And now I'm going to have to re-think my initial impression of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was a blessing to me, but it may have been more of a "stage of life" kind of reading. Pregnancy sure can bring out the desperation in anyone! ;)

    11 DAYS!!!! :D Yes, it does still seem a lifetime away. I once had a woman tell me when I was pregnant with Grasshopper that the 1st pregnancy pokes along, but each one after that flies by more and more. Now I'm not so sure she'd ever been pregnant. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I'd already left a comment...

    After a few reviews like yours I do intend to read this one....I relate all too well of the frustration you speak of.

    11 days!!! Yea! Will be praying in these final days! Can't wait for your news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the worst about leaving tabs open with intentions to comment. Then I never do. :S When cleaning them out, I always have quite a few of your posts in there. :)

      It was a very encouraging read, for sure!

      Thank you for the prayers! I'm so impatient right now to leave the world of pregnancy behind. I'm guessing one day, I'll wish I had enjoyed these last few days more. :)

      Delete