Monday, February 4, 2013

A Few Clean Reads



Reached by Allie Condie

Dutton Juvenile (November 13, 2012)

My Rating: 4/4 stars
Source: Pre-ordered from Amazon

I'm still surprised that I ended up liking this whole series so much after not caring for the first book, Matched, all that much. In Reached, the chapters alternate between Cassia, Ky, and Xander. I really enjoyed all the different perspectives.

I can't say I liked everything that happens. I do wish that some things had ended up different, but overall, I was mostly satisfied. I typically like my endings tied up in a nice, tidy bow, and this one doesn't end that way. It worked for this series, though! I nice, tidy bow just wouldn't have worked, I don't think.

Content:

There's some mild profanity. Da** is used several times. Some kissing, but nothing more. Overall, very clean.



The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Long

Dial (August 16, 2012) 384 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars
Source: Bought from Amazon

The cover drew me to this book, but now I've seen at least two other *new* book covers with the same girl, same dress, and same pose. That just drives me insane! ;P I do still like the cover, though.

The Treachery of Beautiful Things an old fashion kind of fairy tale. It's sweet, but just a tad bit creepy. Some of the characters seemed familiar enough that I suspected it was a re-telling of some sort. I did a bit of research and it seems that it's at least a partial re-telling of "A Midsummer Night's Dream". I'm not familiar with that story, so I can't say just how much of a re-telling it is. I'm guessing the "feature" story is on its own, and the secondary story is the re-telling. A few of the characters include Queen Tatiana, King Oberon, Queen Mab, and Puck. I'm assuming those of you who are familiar with "A Midsummer Night's Dream" will recognize those characters.

The ending was a bit rushed for my tastes. I do wish there were a few more details explained. Overall, I really enjoyed The Treachery of Beautiful Things. I'm looking forward to more from this author.


Content:
I don't think there was any profanity. I'm writing this up a couple of weeks after I read it. If there was any at all, it was very mild. God's name is used in vain a good bit. My G**, G** this, G** that. There's some violence, but it's pretty mild. I'm the wimp of all wimps when it comes to violence, and I was fine with it. It might be a little creepy for young readers, but otherwise, I'd say this is a great, clean read even for the younger tween audience!




Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars
Souce: E-book bought at Amazon

I was thrilled to discover that The Book of a Thousand Days has all Asian characters! I do like to go into most of the books I read not knowing very much. I like to know just enough to know it's clean and something I would enjoy. I'd heard from all over the place that this one was both clean and well loved. I didn't feel the need to read too much about it. I was surprised that it was absolutely nothing like what I expected! I enjoyed it, though.

The first half or so of the story was a little slow for my liking, but the second half made it worthwhile! I'd say it's fantasy, but VERY mild in that regard.

Content:

Some mild kissing and VERY mild violence. I'd say it's perfectly clean even for younger readers. There is pretty heavy talk of "gods" throughout the story and even praying to them. If that bothers you, then I wouldn't read this one.

As a side note on the whole "gods" issue: I used to really struggle with what I thought of reading books with "gods" in them. I grew past that issue, and for the most part it doesn't bother me anymore. No matter what "gods" are mentioned, despite the fact that they are fictional, I just keep in mind that God is above ALL! I still love the line in The Avengers that Captain America says when others are talking about Thor and Loki being "gods". "There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that." My favorite line ever AND one of my favorite movies ever! :)


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So far, I've really enjoyed Hale's writing! I'm thinking Austenland is next!! :)

      Delete
  2. I have Book of a Thousand Days but have yet to read it, and I have the first two books of Ally Condie's trilogy but again I have yet to read it. Thanks for including content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way! I have so many books on my shelf that I've heard great things about. They wait so patiently on me. ;)

      Delete