Monday, January 14, 2013

Spiritual Simplicity: Doing Less, Loving More by Chip Ingram


Howard Books (January 8, 2013) 194 pages

My Rating: 4/4 stars

My Thoughts:

While I don't have a new resolution this year for simplicity, I am continuing on that journey from last year. When I saw Spiritual Simplicity, I targeted in on the word "simplicity" and decided it could help with that goal. When I first stared reading it, I was afraid I'd made a mistake. I NEED to do more spiritually! I've allowed my little ones to give me an excuse for too long, and I freely admit that I need to reach out to others and to God more. I was afraid I wouldn't get anything out of it at this point in my life. Thankfully, since this was a review book, I kept reading.

Spiritual Simplicity is a book about LOVE. Each chapter revolves around different types of love. Each chapter also starts out describing how a song title fits in with that particular chapter. For example, Elvis Presley's "Love Me Tender" and The Beatles' "All You Need is Love". If you're like me(very conservative), knowing that doesn't exactly make you want to run grab a copy. It was a cute addition, though.

Despite my worries that I wouldn't get anything out of this reading, I did. There was a great deal of issues addressed I needed to hear about.

"Until we really understand that we're purposefully unique-fearfully and wonderfully made-we'll have a tendency to compare ourselves with others. And the results of comparing are never good. It always leads to carnality. The moment we compare our own gifts or positions with someone else, sinful thoughts are produced: our singleness in light of their marriage, our income in light of theirs, our usefulness in God's kingdom in light of their fruitfulness. Either we see ourselves as inferior, in which case we become envious, or we see ourselves as superior, in which case we become arrogant." (page 59)

"So when we have a deep need and other believers step up to meet that need, we aren't just experiencing their generosity; we're experiencing God's tangible touch through them. When we're in pain and another Christian comes alongside us to encourage and comfort, we aren't just benefiting from their compassion; we're encountering God's compassion through them. We are commanded to meet each other's needs, bear each others burdens, speak words of encouragement and kindness to each other, and build each other up." (page 148)

Overall, this was a beneficial read for me. It taught me to cut out those things that don't involve love, and focus more on the "love" activities.

*I was provided a review copy through Howard books in exchange for my honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Huh! Glad to read your review. I know the name Chip Ingram (through a friend) and I'm trying to place it . . .

    ReplyDelete