Thursday, January 3, 2013

Reading Challenges for 2013: Part 2


Classic Double Challenge 2013 @ One Librarian's Book Reviews

Fairy tales/re-tellings are pretty much my favorite types of books, so I want to do better at reading the originals. I DO hope to actually get in a few actual Classic book sets to compare, too! NOT counting the fairy tale sets, I'm going for "Medium"(read 4 books-2 sets). I have serious hope that this year will be the one I finally read a Jane Austen book, and it will be pretty easy to find a re-telling I find interesting for her books.

Melissa has a couple of AMAZING lists put together full of classic books with re-tellings of some sort.

The Classic List

The Fairy Tale List

I've also mentioned how much I love Surlalune Fairy Tales. They have "original"(I've learned there's apparently lots of various original versions) fairy tales with annotations and all the re-tellings for that particular story.






Contentment Reading Challenge @ Seasons of Humility

There are several books on my shelf that I want/need to re-read. I'm going to go for "Floating" and attempt to re-read at least 5 books on my shelves. I participated in this challenge in 2011 and did so awful that I didn't participate last year. I have better hopes this time around!

Among them:

Entwined by Heather Dixon- I recently got to add a beautiful hardcover of this book to my shelves, and I can't wait to re-read it.
East by Edith Pattou
She's Got Issues by Nicole Unice
At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon
and many, many more that I've read and loved!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you're participating in the challenge again! :) I didn't do very well in 2011 either... I only re-read 3 books, and I was hosting the challenge! *sigh* I didn't participate last year, either. But I'm also hopeful for a better re-reading experience in 2013!

    I really want to re-read Entwined, as well! LOVED that book!

    East sounds great! I enjoyed East of the Sun, West of the Moon by Jessica Day George, but it didn't really "wow" me, you know? Is East more romantic, by chance? ;)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I think I only gave 3 stars to George's, but East got 5 stars, and added to my favorites. The romance is actually VERY mild best I remember, but still sweet. I do still think you'd like it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interested in this Contentment Reading Challenge. That sounds like a great idea. You just made me want to re-read Entwined myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for joining in the Classic Double Challenge again! I can't wait to see what books you read for it. And yeah for fairy tales and other awesome retellings :)

    ReplyDelete