Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Reading Challenges for 2013: Part 1

L. M. Montgomery Reading Challenge

Lucy Maud Montgomery Challenge @ Reading to Know

This one is actually already going on, so make sure you check out all the fun posts this month over there!

I haven't decided what I'm going to read just yet. I really want to read The Blue Castle, but it's not free on Kindle right now(already spoiled aren't I?)

I'll probably go for reading either The Golden Road or The Story Girl(maybe both). As much as I loved finally reading about Anne last year, I already (halfway) know what happens in the first 3/4(?) books and I want to read something that is a complete surprise for me this time around.


Reading to Know - Book Club

Reading to Know Bookclub 2013

I "participated" last year and did quite horrible, but there's several on here I'd like to give a try this time around.

Here's the line-up this year(taken from Carrie's post):

January - (Children's) Any title of your choosing by L.M. Montgomery in conjunction with the L.M. Montgomery Reading Challenge which is also hosted at Reading to Know.

February - (Adult) The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Selected by Shonya at Learning How Much I Don't Know.

March - (Children's) Any title of your choosing by Maud Hart Lovelace. Selected by Annette at This Simple Home.

April - (Adult) No Name, by Wilkie Collins. Selected by Tim at Diary of an Autodidact.

May - (Children's) Island of the Blue Dolphins, by Scott O'Dell. Selected by Amy at Hope is the Word.

June - (Adult) Through Gates of Splendor, by Elizabeth Elliot (missionary classic). Selected by Barbara at Stray Thoughts.

July - (Children's) The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame, by Stephanie at Simple Things.

August - (Adult) - Daniel Deronda, by George Eliot, by Heather at Do Not Let This Universe Forget You.

September - (Children's) The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling. Selected by Sky at Circus Caravan of My Thoughts on Things.

October - (Adult) The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde. Selected by Rebekah at Bekahcubed.

November - (Children's) Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott. Selected by Cassandra at Adventist Homemaker.

December - (Adult) A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens. Selected by Jonathan (Carrie's husband).

5 comments:

  1. Are you "in" AND back to blogging?! I'm so glad you are joining in! I hear you on wanting to pick up something that is new and surprising to you. I'm reading the Pat series which I haven't read in years. Thanks to my bad memory, it's quite surprising! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on both, although still much more casual on the blogging part than before. I've realized that without blogging, I don't have the motivation to write my thoughts down on books, and I like remembering why I did or didn't like books.

      I've actually been surprised at the lack of LMM books on Kindle(which is my best chance at most Classics right now). I may end up just buying The Blue Castle(it is only 1.99) :)

      I'm looking forward to reading some LMM works either way, though!

      Delete
  2. Glad you are joining in the fun.

    Yes, Kindle does not provide much of LMM, for free. I noticed that immediately, too.

    I'm curious about Blue Castle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There some I couldn't find on Kindle at all, like the Emily of New Moon books. I was thinking about reading the first one. Thankfully, most of the ones that aren't free are still pretty cheap(although it's still hard to pay at all when there are a few free). ;)

      I'm very curious about Blue Castle, too. Not only does the title sound enchanting, but it sounds cute, too.

      Delete
  3. Have fun with your challenges! I'm only participating in personal challenges this year.

    ReplyDelete