Monday, January 7, 2013

Poison by Bridget Zinn


Hyperion Book CH (March 12, 2013) 288 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Kyra is a master with potions, even extremely lethal ones. She's on the run after attempting to kill the princess, who was also her friend, with a poisoned needle. She's still trying to digest her one and only "miss", but she's determined to find the princess in order to hit her target this time. Her former friends and ex-fiancee are now her enemies as they attempt to capture her. While crossing a river with a pig on her head, she meets a new friend. Fred is a goofy, yet handsome boy, and Kyra struggles to keep him out of her thoughts, and maybe even her heart. Throw in a few goblins and witches, and the adventure really begins.

It was fun to see little mysteries unraveling as the story progressed. Lots of secrets hide in the pages of Poison, and I loved being surprised as I learned what they were. Poison is a fairy tale at its sweetest. The precious little pig, named Rosie, was probably my favorite part of the story! You did notice the little pig peeking out of the ferns on the cover, didn't you?! She almost makes me want a little piglet of my own. Almost! ;)

Kyra is a tomboyish young lady, who would rather wear black than anything else. I found myself liking her immediately, despite the fact that she was on the run from an attempted murder. As the story unfolded, I liked her more and more. She has many layers that start showing as the story progresses. And, Fred! The author did such an amazing job of creating a handsome, appealing young man, despite his very goofy tendencies. He was a sweetheart, to say the least!

Overall, I greatly enjoyed my time in this adventure. I think it's a perfect fairy tale for both the young and old!


Content: Da** was used a couple of times, and I think I recall he** being used once. (I did read an e-ARC, so those words may or may not have ended up in the final copy). Violence was extremely mild. The author was very creative in assuring that nobody actually died in any of the fights. Very sweet, mild kissing is as far as anything goes in that nature.

*I was provided an e-ARC from Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm glad you liked it. I'll definitely need to read it. It's on my to-read list. :)
    Clean Teen Fiction

    ReplyDelete