Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Candle Bible for Kids: Toddler Edition by Juliet David


Candle Books; Toddler edition (November 1, 2012) 160 pages

My Thoughts:

The stories in Candle Bible for Kids Toddler Edition are VERY simplified. At times, they were too simplified for my tastes. Firefly is one(two in April). His attention span is not that great right now. He's having a hard time focusing very long at all while I read. So, in his case, this is a great pick for him(with maybe a few added details from me to some of the stories). For Grasshopper(delayed four), though, this is way too simple of a Bible storybook.

As I mentioned in a review earlier this week, I never realized how much time had passed by the time the wise men found Jesus. (Yes, I realize that is most likely common knowledge to most, but it was new to me) ;) I think most books portray Jesus still in the stables, though. This book actually portrays Jesus as an older child when the wise men come to him. I like that!

Each of the stories vary in page length. Some are much longer than others. For example, while some of them are only a few pages long, the first one on The Creation is 8 pages. I actually used that story in teaching Grasshopper about The Creation. The pictures were particularly great in it, and Grasshopper seemed to learn better with them. He even picked up a few new words, so we were pleased with that.

Overall, the pictures are very appealing to little ones(at least mine), but I do wish there was a bit more meat to the stories.

*I was provided a review copy through Kregel in exchange for my honest opinion.

5 comments:

  1. I think it's important to read the Bible to kids from an early age. This book is accurate in showing that the magi visited Jesus when he was a child living in a house (Matt 2:11) and not in a stable as inaccurately portrayed in most children's books and during the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I've been in church nearly my whole life, and have read those passages numerous times and it wasn't until recently(when a devotional I was reading pointed it out), that I zeroed in on the word "house" in Matt. 2:11. I had never realized how MUCH time had actually passed when the magi visited Jesus. That's what I like about this book including it correctly! :) There will always be new things jumping out at me while reading, I'm sure. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It would be perfect for Baby Whimsy's age! :)

      Delete
  3. I can rather see how this might be suitable for Bookworm3 at this time. Her attention span is growing, but it's still rather limited!

    ReplyDelete