Tuesday, January 15, 2013

30 Days in the Land With Jesus by Charles Dyer


Moody Publishers (March 21, 2012) 256 pages

Description(from Amazon):

What encouragement we receive when the truth of the Bible meets us where we are--just imagine how much more eye-opening it is when we encounter the Bible where it was written! Thirty Days in the Land with Jesus, takes the reader on a spiritual journey through the Holy Word and the Holy Land, guided by renowned expert and author Dr. Charles Dyer. Complemented by vivid, full-color photography, each day draws new insight and inspiration from the ancient sites that framed the earthly ministry of Jesus Christ. Your understanding of the person, work, and words of Jesus Christ takes on an added dimension with this day by day exploration of the world in which He walked.

My Thoughts:

I apologize for just how late this review is! I had it in a stack of books months ago that needed to be reviewed. I thought that I had got them all, but when my boys knocked off that stack(shows how long it's been since I cleaned off my desk!), I had a moment of panic as I realized that I hadn't reviewed this one yet. Since, I've simply let time get away with me. Again, I'm sorry for my delay.

Thirty Days in the Land with Jesus: A Holy Land Devotional is a short devotional book that gives you a bit of background information about the different moments of Jesus' life through the Bible. I loved that it also points things out that might otherwise be looked over. For instance, I already knew that the Bible never says how many wise men there were that visited baby Jesus. It could have been 2 or 3 or even 5. We don't know.(For the record, I DO tend to lean toward there being 3. When teaching my little ones about the wise men, we do have to have a number when activities or displays are involved.) I also already knew that it wasn't immediate that the wise men showed up. There was some time in between Jesus' birth and the visit. One little factor that I've always overlooked, though, is the fact that Jesus and his family were in a *house" when the wise men came. They were no longer in the stables!

Matthew 2:11(NKJV)

"And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary his mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh."


Isn't it always exciting when you are taught or discover some little detail of the Bible that you've never noticed before?! :D There's lots of little information throughout the book that you might not have noticed or known before.

When I first got the devotional, I flipped through, and I have to admit that I was a little disappointed in the pictures. They were a little plainer than I was hoping for. As I read, though, I gained a better appreciation for them. They fit in with the devotionals and they gave me a better picture of what items or places looked like.

Overall, while it's relatively short, it is packed with lots of information, and I enjoyed it.

*Thanks to the publisher for my review copy in exchange for my honest opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment