Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Anger Workbook: An Interactive Guide to Anger Management by Les Carter, Ph.D. and Frank Minirth, M.D.


Thomas Nelson; Reprint edition (October 30, 2012) 256 pages

Source: Booksneeze Review Program

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I think anger is one of those things that people are afraid to admit that they struggle with. I think almost all(if not all)of us struggle with it. We simply deal with it in different ways. Some have learned to deal with it in healthier ways than others. We're all imperfect, selfish creatures! I never realized I had anger issues until I got married and had children. You really HAVE to learn the art of being unselfish when you have to share EVERYTHING! "Me" time? Ha! It ceases to exist. ;) Don't get me wrong. I love my children. Sometimes they are so sweet and precious that it takes my breath away that I've been blessed with these amazing little beings. Other times....well, they are a great lesson in anger management.

I really like the list that this book starts out with. It gives you a real picture of just how many faces anger takes on.

A few examples from the list:

-When I am displeased with someone, I may shut down any communication or withdraw.
-I feel inwardly annoyed when family and friends do not comprehend my needs.
-When facing an important event, I may obsessively ponder how I must manage it.
-Sometimes I walk in another direction to avoid seeing someone I do not like.
-When discussing a controversial topic, my tone of voice is like to become persuasive.
-I do not easily forget when someone does me wrong.
-Sometimes my discouragement makes me want to quit.
-Although I know it may not be right, I sometimes blame others for my problems.
-At times I struggle with moods of depression or discouragement.

That's just a few from the list! I like it, though, because it proves that anger isn't just about flying off into a rage. I think that stereotype is why people are afraid to admit they have anger.

I've made it no secret that I don't care for "workbook" type of books. From the title, it's obvious that this is a workbook. I do make exceptions when it's a subject that I care about. There is a great deal of journaling, but surprisingly, not as much as I expected.

I think the best thing about this book is that it is written for EVERYONE! Young, old, male, female. Everyone!

Overall, I think The Anger Workbook: An Interactive Guide to Anger Management is a pretty awesome book and I definitely recommend it!

*I was provided a review copy through the Booksneeze program in exchange for my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have given this book a second glance until I read your review. That list was so revealing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing that many of the things on their list wouldn't have made me think of anger.

    ReplyDelete