Thursday, December 13, 2012

Sacrifice by Cayla Kluver


Harlequin Teen; Original edition (October 23, 2012) 448 pages

Source: Pre-order from Amazon

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars


Description:

This is not the time for the fight to end. Now is when the fight will begin. This is the time to regain what has been lost.

Alera

Queen of a fallen kingdom, secretly in love with the enemy.

Shaselle

Daughter of a murdered father, rebel with a cause.

One lives behind the former Hytanican palace walls and walks the razor's edge to keep the fragile peace in her beloved homeland. The other slips through the war-torn streets, seeking retribution for her family's tragedy, following whispers of insurgency.

Both face choices that will separate them from those they cannot help but love. As their stories intertwine, a conspiracy ignites that may end in slavery or death—or lead to freedom anew, if only each can face what must be sacrificed.


My Thoughts:

*DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ LEGACY AND ALLEGIANCE! THERE WILL BE SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST TWO BOOKS!

It's always hard on the last book in a series. Readers become so invested in the characters that if things don't work out like they want, it really makes a negative impression of the whole series...at least for me.

I think Kluver did an amazing job of wrapping everything up in Sacrifice. I'll admit I prefer more closure with my books, but other than that, I was mostly very pleased.

In Allegiance, we get to see Alera and Steldor's relationship strengthening throughout, so for me, it was a HUGE letdown to find out none of that really mattered as far as the love triangle goes. I was worried, because I still didn't like Narian or Alera all that much going into Sacrifice. There was no reason for worry whatsoever! Within the first chapter, I already felt guilty that I was ever hoping Alera and Steldor would end up together. (Don't take that as negativity towards Steldor in any way AND I still don't like how things were worked out with the whole marriage/annulment thing in Allegiance). Alera gets to be with the man she loves in Sacrifice! It didn't take long at all for Narian to grow on me, and Alera even won me over. Sure, she still makes some horrible decisions that made me mad. She's grown tremendously over the course of the series, though, and it's obvious! Every time she stood up to Cokyrian forces, I wanted to cheer for her. She shows her backbone at the perfect moments!

My favorite part of this book? Shaselle! When I heard that the chapters would be alternating between Shaselle(Baelic's daughter) and Alera, I was a little worried. Shaselle is barely mentioned in the previous books, so it's only through her chapters that we really see who she is. I wasn't really sure what the point of her chapters were going to be. Once again, though, there was no need for concern! Her added perspective made this my favorite book of the series in most areas. I immediately connected with her! I found this a bit strange, because in many ways, she reminded me of Alera. Alera had to work hard at making me like her, but Shaselle won me over without much effort.

Overall, I think this series covers a pretty wide variety of reading interests! And, once again, I was pretty pleased with the ending!

Just as a side note:

Good grief, this author doesn't mind killing off her characters! I was starting to wonder if anybody would be left at the end. I actually prefer a bit more "happily ever after" in that regard! I guess it does add a "real" factor to the whole series, since there is a war and all, though.


Content:

There's an instance of premarital sex. It's not detailed. (It's a pretty tricky situation in some aspects, so some of you may disagree. The premarital part is my opinion). There's also profanity, although mostly mild. Bit** and Bas**** are the most commonly used words that I recall. My huge disappointment was when G**Da** was used(once)! I was greatly upset about that, to be perfectly honest.

There's a good bit of violence! I'm a wimp(!!), but some of it was too much for me. If not for the violence, this series would remain on my keeper shelf, with the help of a tiny bit of white-out for language. As much as I enjoyed it, though, due to the violence, I won't likely re-read it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reviewing all three of these books. If they come up again, I know where to get an honest review of them. I also hate profanity and too much violence in teen books.

    ReplyDelete