Wednesday, October 10, 2012

When Hope Blossoms by Kim Vogel Sawyer


Bethany House Publishers (July 1, 2012) 350 pages

Description:

Amy Knackstedt moves with her children to Weaverly, Kansas, to escape the speculation surrounding her husband's untimely death.
She hopes the new location will provide a fresh start for them all. But her neighbor, Tim Roper, is not pleased to have a Mennonite
family living next to his apple orchard. When the children try to befriend him, he resists. Tim left the Mennonite faith years ago and doesn't want any reminders of his former life. Yet Amy and Tim find their paths colliding far more than either could have foreseen. Will this tentative relationship blossom into something more?

My Rating: 4/5 star

My Thoughts:

*My cover doesn't have that truck on it. I kind of wish it did.

To be honest, when I picked When Hope Blossoms up, it was only because it was my LAST review book at the time. I wasn't really in the mood for a Mennonite story. Despite that, I was pleasantly surprised at just how quickly I was pulled into the story.

I think it's important to know that this isn't a romance, despite the fact that it's labeled as one(I think). There is a little. Very little! It's a heartbreaking story of two families healing from loss and hard times. If you're exceedingly emotional like me, then go ahead and grab a box of tissues when you read it.

I liked the "Apple Orchard" aspect of the story. I have to confess that ever since reading Jan Karon's books, which contain an apple orchard, I've had dreams of having one someday! ;) I also enjoyed the Mennonite aspect. This was actually the first one I've ever read(although I have read several Amish stories). It was fun getting to see how much more "worldly" the family in this story was over the Amish books I've read. Of course, they are still much less "worldly" than me.

There are children in this story. I'm not the biggest fan of children in romance books(or what I expect to be romance books). I know. I sound horrible. I do remember another blogger admitting the same thing(Amber, maybe?? ;)) I do love children! Lets hope so, huh?! They work in here, though! They were a big part of the story, and without them, I wouldn't have gotten one of my all-time favorite lines ever in a book. "Momma made brownies for dessert. So lick your fork, Mr. Roper!" I might have laughed out loud at that part. :)

Overall, while it is a heartbreaking story, there are funny moments. I enjoyed it, even if I was afraid I wouldn't.

*I was provided a review copy from Bethany House in exchange for my honest opinion.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! And yes, that was me, LOL! ;) Children are wonderful, but I prefer my romance stories to center on the romance... At least I'm not the only one! ;)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't remember for sure if it was you, but I remember being relieved I wasn't the only one that felt that way. :)

      Delete
  2. Your review is so funny with all your honest side comments. I love reading your thoughts on the books you read exactly for this reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you just made my day!! Thank you! :)

      Delete