Friday, October 5, 2012

Sandwich, With a Side of Romance by Krista Phillips


Description:

She moved to Sandwich, Illinois, in search of a new life, but ended up in a giant pickle.

Sandwich represents hope for twenty-year-old Maddie Buckner and Kyle, the eleven-year-old brother Maddie wants to spring out of foster care. Then she loses her new job after less than a day. It’s all Reuben-the-Jerk’s fault, and she’s determined to make him right the wrong.

He does so, reluctantly, by giving her a job at his restaurant, The Sandwich Emporium. Then crazy things start happening at the restaurant, and Kyle’s foster parents apply to adopt him. To stop it all, Maddie must learn the art of humbling herself and accepting the help God has arranged, risking her heart to Reuben in the process.

And she’d rather eat a million corned-beef on rye sandwiches than do that.

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I'm not typically a fan of Contemporary Christian books. I don't know what it was about this one, but I latched onto it from the time I heard the title. I knew I had to read Sandwich, With a Side of Romance. I was expecting to like it, but it actually surprised me JUST how much I grew to love the story and characters!

A great deal of Christian romances involve a pure, Christian girl trying to tame the guy. I simply adored the twist on this story! We get a pure, Christian guy attempting to tame the girl with a pretty horrible background. Good guys DO exist girls! Don't get me wrong. Rueben has his faults. There are times I wanted to smack him upside the head. We all make bad choices and make wrong assumptions at times, though. None of us are perfect. He was a pretty awesome character. I'm not one to gush over fictional guys(or real guys for that matter...other than my husband), but Rueben made my heart melt a little! ;) I don't really care for most names of affection in books. I actually just skip over dialogue when someone is constantly getting called "baby". :P Rueben calls Maddie "hon" at one point and I think that might just be the sweetest scene I've ever read. It's such a simple scene, but I loved it!

I was amazed at all the humor that was packed in the pages, despite some very tough topics. Maddie has had a rough life, so she's got a bit of a chip on her shoulder. She's not the easiest person to like at times. She's a bit less conservative than me with her prayers to God, to say the least. I couldn't help but cringe with some of them. She grew on me, though!

Overall, this was a fun, humorous story. While I don't read a great deal of contemporary stories, I found this one to be unique!

*I was provided a review copy though the Pump Up Your Book blog tour in exchange for my honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I don't usually read chick-lit but this one sounds really funny.

    ReplyDelete