Monday, October 29, 2012

Legacy and Allegiance by Cayla Kluver


Harlequin Teen (June 28, 2011) 496 pages

Description:

In her seventeenth year, Princess Alera of Hytanica faces one duty: to marry the man who will be king. But her father's choice of suitor fills her with despair.

When the palace guard captures and intruder—a boy her age with steel-blue eyes, hailing from her kingdom's greatest enemy—Alera is alarmed…and intrigued. But she could not have guessed that their clandestine meetings would unveil the dark legacy shadowing both their lands.

In this mystical world of court conspiracies and blood magic, loyalties will be tested. Courage won't be enough. And as the battle begins for everything Alera holds dear, love may be the downfall of a kingdom.

My Quick Thoughts:

*If you plan on reading this series, I'd highly recommend getting the Harlequin published version as opposed to the self published(if you can still get that version). That is simply based on other reviews I've read. The Harlequin published version is apparently more edited.

I read Legacy a few months ago, but never posted my full thoughts on it. Although it took me a little while to get into it, I was eventually pulled into the story. I didn't care for the leading lady(still don't in the second book), but I see her growing. As far as I know this series is labeled as a romance, but I didn't feel a great deal of that going on. There's way more in Legacy than in Allegiance, and I'm guessing there will be more in Sacrifice, but I'd say this story is more than just romance! There is a love triangle going on, but it's not your typical one. It's historical, but I couldn't begin to guess what time period it is. There is just a touch of fantasy, but it's mostly realistic. I think the first book only had one word of profanity and there's several mild words in the second, but overall, very clean!

Based on the fact that I bought a copy of Allegiance(for full price) and pre-ordered Sacrifice, I think you can guess that I like this series! :)



Harlequin Teen (February 28, 2012) 512 pages

Allegiance is the 2nd book in the Legacy Series, so if you haven't read the first book, Legacy, you probably shouldn't read my thoughts on this one. There will probably be spoilers for Legacy. Warning: This is mostly a whole lot of rambling in an attempt to jot my thoughts down.

It's been a couple of weeks now since I finished Allegiance. I've been pondering my thoughts since then. I strongly debated between 3 and 4 stars, but the fact that I'm still thinking about it so much makes me go with 4. I've completely wrapped myself up in this world that Kluver has created. The possibility of 3 stars was mostly due to my complete disappointment in the ending, and my strong dislike of the leading lady. There really is SO MUCH that I LOVE about this book, though!

First, let me knock out a little venting about Alera. Mercy, that girl is stubborn! I can tell that she's supposed to be a strong leading lady at times, but for the most part I found her weak, selfish, and just plain annoying. It seemed like she was constantly fainting or being so overcome by exhaustion that a man was having to carry her to bed, or to a horse, or.....! Don't get me wrong. I'm all for the damsel in distress routine, as long as she has a backbone and has others' needs at the front of her mind. (Think opposite of Buttercup in The Princess Bride. I didn't care for her at all either.) I'm still keeping hope that she wins me over in the final book. I haven't completely given up hope on her.

Now the men of this series(other than Narian, which I still don't like), are a completely different story. I LOVED those guys! Steldor, Destari, Halias, Galen, and even shy Temerson have won me over. My favorites are definitely London and Cannan, though! Kluver has truly created an awesome group of guys. London's story so far has went a little different than I predicted. I'm still hoping some of the things concerning him in the first book are addressed in the final book.

Even though the two stories are completely different, while reading Allegiance, I was constantly reminded of The Girl of Fire and Thorns, which I adored!

The ending....oh, it was enough to make me throw my book against the wall. Almost! :) So, so disappointed! Apparently, when a love triangle is involved, 95% of the time the author and I have different ideas of who should end up together.

I'm really looking forward to the final chapter of this series. I pre-ordered Sacrifice, which has FINALLY shipped! :P I'm hoping to get it Wednesday.

Content: There are a handful of mild words of profanity(he**, da**, bas****). There is almost no romance at all in this book, so no worries there! There are a few kisses, though. There is a great deal of violence and scenes of torture, although never greatly detailed.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm....based on your review, part of me wants to read this series and another part does not, especially because you did not like the leading lady. Hope the last book does not end in a disappointing way!

    ReplyDelete