Monday, October 1, 2012

Be The Mom: Overcome Attitude Traps and Enjoy Your Kids by Tracey Eyster



I apologize profusely to the author and publisher for the lateness of my review!

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Be the Mom is a quick boost of encouragement for the moms out there. I really enjoyed it! The chapters are relatively quick to read through, so it's a perfect book to read here and there. It became my favorite "waiting room" read.

The author and I really didn't seem to have a lot in common, but I still connected with her. We do have the "mommy" part in common. I liked her! She's writing as an experienced mom with older(teen) children(from my understanding). The suggestions she gives are methods that worked for her. She saw things that wasn't working for her family and she changed them. We get to see how these changes worked out. I'm not at all against moms who give suggestions as a "young" mom(young children), but it is great to get advice from the "wise" moms(older children).

I have quite a few quotes marked throughout this book, and I was having a hard time deciding what to share. Unfortunately, I have misplaced this book at the moment, so I can't share any of them. This book is already really late, though, so I'm going ahead with posting. "sigh" I assure you there are lots of things to leave you thinking, though!

The sections on being busy and comparisons are the parts that I got the most from. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes Facebook/blogging is my worst enemy. I see moms who are keeping busy going here and there, and I think I'm just not doing enough. Being busy doesn't automatically equal a great mom, though, and I appreciate the reminder. We're very simple around here. And comparisons. I've came a LONG way from what I used to be. I'm finally realizing that it's okay that my home and family doesn't look like it came out of a Martha Stewart magazine. It has never been spotless, and I no longer expect it to be at any point soon. It's okay that I can't cook worth anything, and that many of our meals come out of a box. I've spent so much time imagining a life of perfection that I've forgotten how to be content with what talents God has given me. I'm finally learning to do what works for us, and that's okay! This book helped me along with those journeys.

Overall, this is a simple, down to earth book with great mommy advice. I liked it!

*I was provided a review copy from Tyndale in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like this book was inspirational for you. Comparing yourself to other moms who come across as supermoms can be discouraging. I appreciate when another mom tells me that she wants to keep things simple. It's the way to go!

    ReplyDelete