Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pibbin the Small and The Story Shell by Gloria Repp


(My cover for Pibbin the Small is different. The artwork matches(same style) the one for The Story Shell. I couldn't seem to locate a picture, though).



My Thoughts:

Pibbin the Small: A Tale of Friendship Bog is about a small frog, named Pibbin. When his turtle friend, Sheera, is hurt, he must find the courage to make a trip to get the medicine Sheera needs to save her leg. First, he has to find a "pal" that is just right. There's a bit of mystery and adventure along the way.

In The Story Shell, Pibbin has to solve the mystery of who has taken a "story shell" that is needed for an upcoming party. His "pal" is missing, though. There's even more mystery and adventure in this one.

There's so much to love about these books!

I love that they are great for beginning read-aloud chapter books(both for the reader and the listener). I'm not a natural when it comes to reading aloud. I know as my boys get older, they'll most likely get more picky with reading aloud, so I practice when I can. ;) I'm also attempting to challenge Grasshopper's reading a bit to help him focus a bit more. He didn't sit attentively while I read, but I still read parts to him. (It was slow, though, so for the sake of reviewing, I read to myself, too). He really enjoyed the pictures! These are marketed for ages 2-8. I'd say right in the middle is the perfect target group.

There's also lots of discussion openings for the slightly older reader. For example, at the beginning of Pibbin the Small, Pibbin thinks that Sheera has died. He feels the need to remember good times that him and Sheera had. There's also several times that Pibbin wishes he could do things the other frogs could do, but he's told to use what he's got(a great lesson for me, too).

There's lots of nature education sprinkled throughout the stories. I also thought the "buggy" food was a really cute touch. There's fried termites, spicy spider dip, dried beetle bars, and many more.

Last, but not least, there's the pictures. I thought they were pretty awesome. Other than the covers, all the pictures are black and white, but I was really impressed with them.

If you and your children enjoy nature stories, with a bit of adventure, definitely give these a try.

If you would like to read a sample chapter from each of these books, just go HERE.

*I was provided a review copy of these books from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice. They sound like interesting beginning chapter books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much for enjoying Pibbin's adventures and sharing the review!! You do a great job, by the way! You have the original covers for both SMALL and SHELL, which I dearly loved. We had to change them for better viewing on Kindle, and I like the new versions too, but . . . I hope Grasshopper continues to grow in his reading, and I plan to have another Pibbin book for him this fall. It will be called THE COOKIE BOX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank YOU for giving us the chance to meet Pibbin. :) I'll definitely plan on adding future "Friendship Bog" titles to our library and we'll be revisiting these, too!

      Delete
  3. These look fun! I'll keep them in mind and look out for them.

    ReplyDelete