Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Goodbye(of Sorts) + Recipes = A Long Post

It's time for me to take a step back from blogging. At this point, I feel it's a permanent decision, but I'll re-evaluate in a few months and see where I am. Honestly, I'm not in a place right now to be making any type of permanent decision. It has been something I've been considering for quite awhile, but when God gave us a surprising(but welcome) change around here, I felt an extra hard push in this direction. The whole book blogging process takes such a HUGE chunk of time. For me, it's hard to keep my priorities straight while blogging.

Since I do feel that books and reading are really important, I'll still be reading, just more casually. And, I'll still be watching out for your book recommendations! I greatly value those. Not to mention, I've grown fond of several of you, so I want to keep up with y'all. :) I won't be completely disappearing.

****I do still have some book reviews that I've committed to. Lord willing, I have every intention of posting those when they are due.

-Short Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer(August)
-The Orphan King by Sigmund Brouwer(August/September)
-When Hope Blossoms by Kim Vogel Sawyer(September/October)
-The Haven by Suzanne Woods Fisher(I've finished this one, just waiting on post date to be assigned)
-Sandwich, with a Side of Romance by Krista Phillips(October 5th)
-Be the Mom: Overcome Attitude Traps and Enjoy Your Kids by Tracey Lanter Eyster(August)
-Over the Edge by Mary Connealy(not sure when this one will go up, probably September/October)
-30 Days in the Land With Jesus by Charles H. Dyer(August/September)

I may have missed one or two, but those are the only posts I have planned.****

I'm also slowly working on The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making for my pick during August for the Bookclub. I'm mostly enjoying it, with a bit of mixed feelings. I'm just trying really hard to knock out all review books, so it's taking me longer than I'd like to finish it. (I'm greatly looking forward to each and every one of my review books, so when I say I'm trying to knock them out of the way, it's not in any way negative towards them.

I won't be finishing up with any challenges, at least any time soon. I don't think anyone will hold it against me. ;)

If you'd like to see what I'm reading, feel free to friend me at Goodreads. I still plan on keeping record of what I've read that way. It will just be much shorter "reviews". Also, I do plan on occasionally reading and reviewing books through the Amazon Vine program. I'm not required to blog about those books. For me, Amazon and Goodreads are the two biggest places I go when looking for reviews for a specific book, anyway.

I've greatly enjoyed my blogging adventure and meeting all of you. I appreciate those of you who have stuck with me! I also appreciate all the wonderful authors and publishers out there who have graciously let me read their books. I've added quite a few favorite authors to my reading list, so from now on, I'll have to rely on giveaways and Swagbucks gift-cards!

Since a few of you mentioned interest in these recipes, I'll leave you with those.


**************************************





Chocolate Cobbler

2 1/2 cups sugar(I cut this down a bit....1 3/4 cups usually)
2 T cocoa
1 T flour
1/2 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups milk(original recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, but I use skim milk)

Mix the dry ingredients in a pan. Then add the wet ingredients, and bring to a boil. Stir often!

Crust

2 cups self-rising flour
1/3 cups oil
1/3 cups cold water

Mix and divide in 1/2. Roll 1/2 the mixture thin and cut into strips. Drop chunks of the strips into chocolate mixture and cook until "dumplings" are tender(less than a minute on my version). Stir often. Pour chocolate mixture and boiled dumplings in a greased pan(I use cooking spray). Roll the rest of the dough thin and cut into strips. Criss cross over the top. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 25 minutes @ 400 degrees.

I call mine the lazy version. Instead of rolling the dough, I just mash it flat in my hand and tear off chunks. I do the same for the topping. I also don't use a sugar topping, since it's sweet enough as it is.

I got this recipe from my mother-in-law. It's probably my favorite dessert as far as ones that I make.


***********************************






(This was my first attempt at homemade hamburger buns. Jonathan really like them, but I'd like to experiment a little more).


Bean Burger Recipe

15 ounces cooked beans(we've used canned and dried...any are fine)
1 chopped small onion
1 T ketchup
1 tsp. mustard
2 tsp. Dale's sauce(it actually calls for Worcheshire sauce(That's not spelled right, I'm sure), but that's not vegetarian, so we substitute)
3 T bread crumbs or cracker crumbs(I tried substituting rice here, but that doesn't work well)
1 egg(or use 1 T flax seed + 3 T water)
2-3 T your choice of seasonings

As far as the beans, your possibilities are endless. We've used all kinds of beans to make these. My favorites are black beans and lentils, my least favorite is kidney beans. The same is true with seasoning. You can go with chili seasoning for a chili burger, garlic, salt, pepper, etc. My favorite is cumin! This recipe is definitely very basic. You can do all kinds of things with it!

Combine the ingredients. If you want to cook these like burgers, just scoop out a little, roll, and mash flat, just like regular hamburger meat. Either fry or bake. You can also cook this meatloaf style, or scoop them into a muffin pan. We've really did all kinds of things with them. Unfortunately, I don't have a set time if you choose to bake. That's always experimental. We do cook at 400 degrees, though. We almost always just use the griddle, and make enough to put leftovers in the refrigerator for lunch the next couple of days.

They're very good AND thrifty!

*This one was given to me by a lady I worked with many years ago.

12 comments:

  1. Sad to see you go, but I completely understand your reasoning. Maybe we'll see you back again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could better control myself, I'd stick to part-time blogging. Those review copies are so hard to pass up, though. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Melissa! Selfishly, I'm really sad that you won't be blogging anymore - I've loved being blogging pals with you since that very first day you commented on my blog and I followed yours! However, I totally understand why you feel you need to take a step back. Blogging is super time-consuming, and the reading/reviewing schedule can be quite hectic (especially when you're like me and request more than you probably ought to!). I'm inspired by your commitment to your priorities. :) Your children and husband are blessed to have a mom and wife like you!

    I do hope we can still keep in touch through Goodreads and e-mail and such! :) Thank you for all of your wonderful posts, and for your friendship!!

    God bless you and your family!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO request more than I should, as hard as I try not to! ;)

      Thank you! You are very sweet! Lord willing, I definitely plan on keeping in touch. :)

      Delete
  3. I totally understand as I had to do the same thing. I hope also to be able to keep in touch with you. These years with the kids go so quickly. I agree with Amber your family is blessed. Maybe when the seasons change, you'll be back to blogging :)

    julesreffner(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!

    And boooo I'll miss you.
    But I understand.
    I hope all goes well.
    Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to see you leave, but I hear you on blogging -- that's why I don't, even tho it's supposed to be mandatory for an author. Priorities have to be set, and I applaud you for making a change that you feel necessary. Enjoy your family! And thank you for the recipes. I will keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand your decision. I'll miss having your blog around. I'll still see you on goodreads though. :)

    It is so hard to say no to review books. I'm feeling overwhelmed with the ones I've accepted for review so I've stopped taking books for review unless the book is on my to-read list or from an author/publisher I've worked with. When I started my blog I never imagined I'd have to write emails turning people down. So hard! Good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your sweet comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely get that. And I'm glad we have other connections because I really like you and your family and want to know what's going on in your world! It's been a great pleasure getting to know you through your blog. But you must do what you must do! I'm still subscribed to your feed so I'll see you here whenever you DO pop up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your break. I totally understand. I go back and forth over whether I should continue blogging or not.

    ReplyDelete