Monday, June 11, 2012

She's Got Issues: Seriously Good News for Stressed-Out, Secretly Scared Control Freaks Like Us by Nicole Unice



My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I immediately connected with Nicole! I love how honest she is in She's Got Issues: Seriously Good News for Stressed-Out, Secretly Scared Control Freaks Like Us. She used herself frequently as a negative example. One of the biggest turn-offs for me is when an author only uses themselves as a positive example, trying to hold themselves up as a perfect image. None of us are perfect. I'm about as far from perfect as a person can get, so I don't like reading about people who think they've made it there without me. ;)

"Finally I stole away for sixty seconds of luxurious "me" time: just enough to hurriedly brush my teeth in peace. But as all mothers know, the click of the bathroom lock is the signal for a code-red emergency to break out. On this morning, it was my daughter's unsuccessful search for a pair of matching socks.
'Mama, I need socks!'
'Mommy, I can't find my purple and white socks. Mommy!'
'MOMMY, I need help! MOMMY, where are you? MOMMY!'
'MOMMMMMYYYY!!!"
I spit into the sink and screamed so loud that my voice scratched as if it were coming from a blown speaker. 'BEEEEEeeeeeeee PAaaaaaaTIENT!!!!'
At that moment, I caught a panoramic view of myself in the triple bathroom mirrors. With toothpaste on my lip, hair scrambled on top of my head, and a wild look in my eye, I screamed 'Be patient!' like a woman possessed. The mirrors captured the irony of my statement in triplicate. I began to wonder how my own issues were becoming my kids' issues. Ouch."

Come on. Who doesn't relate to that?!

Nicole touches on issues in our lives that are sort of shoved to the back burner. We don't take them as serious issues, because we've simply accepted them as a normal part of our lives. She's Got Issues tackles our issues of comparisons, anger, fear, control, unforgiveness, and insecurity. I struggle with ALL of those, some more than others!

"There is a stubborn streak in me that wants to set my world in motion all by myself, that believes I truly know what is best for myself. It is the part of me that wants the world to rotate around me-my needs, my whims, my desires. This force has been kicking in me since I was born. And it's not dead yet."

I can't even tell you how much I needed this book! *IF* I were a hugging person, I'd give Nicole a giant hug for writing it. ;) The chapter on fear has made a HUGE impact on me. So much so, that I have a completely different post planned for that subject.

I think you can tell that I HIGHLY recommend She's Got Issues. HIGHLY(!!!!) But, I'm going to give some of you a couple of "warnings". One, there's a somewhat positive reference to "The Shack". I despise that book with every fiber of my being! I know some of you feel the same way as me about that. It's only one little sentence, though. I've made notes about my dislike of the book(in my book) in case anybody else ever sees it. Two, this book was definitely written for the "modern" woman. I don't consider myself one of them, but it didn't bother me at all. There's song lyrics from popular artists, references to modern day television shows I don't watch, and there's even a smartphone scan thingy at the end of each chapter. I don't have a smartphone, nor do I have any intentions at the moment of getting one, so I had to laugh a bit when I saw it at the end of the first chapter. It made me realize how behind the times I really am. I'm okay with that, though. Again, all that stuff didn't bother me a bit, but I know it might for some of you.

I think this book is awesome for ANY woman. Period. (teenagers, unmarried women, married women, mothers, elderly, EVERYONE) But, I think it pretty awesome for social phobia sufferers, as a bit more specific. The comparisons, fear, anxiety....it comes with the territory. So while I recommend it to all women, I definitely recommend if you have social phobia to pick it up!

*A HUGE thank you to Tyndale for my review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. 5 out of 5 despite the reference to The Shack! Well, I'll take that on your recommendation.

    No comment as to whether or not I can relate to being harangued from outside the bathroom door. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your review of this book! Oh the stories we can relate to when it comes to motherhood! I would probably scratch my head re the television shows and the smartphone too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to read this, given the morning (week?) I've had and the fact that I'm holed up in the bathroom typing this on my iPod. Ha!

    ReplyDelete