Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Secret Keeper by Sandra Byrd


*Quick note: I got a bit confused with my post dates. I had thought this one was going up tomorrow, and I was going to announce the winner then, but obviously it posts today. I'll still draw the winner tomorrow morning, though. So, you can still enter to win a copy of The Secret Keeper! Just go HERE.

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Juliana St. John narrates The Secret Keeper. Through a chance meeting with Sir Thomas Seymour and a series of events, she becomes a "lady in waiting" for Henry VIII's 6th wife, Kateryn Parr. Juliana has the gift of prophecy, but she lives in a time where this gift is extremely dangerous! If the wrong person discovered her gift, it could mean death, but she knows she shouldn't keep the prophecies secret. Throughout the story, she meets another lady with her same gift.

I thought the prophecy aspect of the story was a unique touch. I enjoyed learning more about it. Sandra elaborates a bit more on that subject in the notes at the back of the book. I've mentioned before how much I adore all those extra notes when I finish a historical book! Especially with this particular story, it was icing on the cake to have a little more to read when the story was over.

I'm continually amazed at the corruption and lies of this period of time in history. It seems like everyone had to walk on tiptoes just to avoid a death sentence. Beheading, burning, and hanging were extremely common punishments during those days. I'm also continually grateful that I didn't live during that time! I feel blessed beyond words that I was born in the time and place I was.

Really, y'all. I just can't brag on this book enough! The writing is simply beautiful! Sandra gives us a look at the corruption and lies in a clean format that in no way takes away from the story. Since I enjoyed reading it so much, I immediately lined up another "royalty" book. Let's just say that it made me appreciate Sandra's books even more. Needless to say, The Secret Keeper quickly made it's way to my keeper shelf, right next to To Die For.


*There is some violence throughout The Secret Keeper. There's a rape scene and a burning scene. I don't think they're overly detailed at all, but I would offer caution to the younger readers.

**Thank you to Howard Books for my review copy in exchange for my honest opinion!

2 comments:

  1. =D I'm glad I'm not the only one who messes up her bloggy dates every now again! (Ok, I realize that's not what we're supposed to focus on in this post but it did bring some relief. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading and reviewing my book. I truly appreciate it - and you!

    ReplyDelete