Thursday, June 14, 2012

Read Aloud Thursday: A Few Fun Children's Books





Read Aloud Thursdays is hosted every Thursday by Amy @ Hope Is The Word.


I've been intending for awhile now to join back in with the Read Aloud Thursday meme. We read some great books around here that I always want to share about and simply document for myself. I like making note of books others recommend, too. When I'm browsing through used books, I always get excited to find a book that someone has recommended.





Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. Shaw

We picked this one up ridiculously cheap at Books-A-Million a few weeks back(it's the big lap board book). It's been read MANY times since then. So many times, apparently that I have the book just about memorized and randomly start "reading" it at any given moment. The boys love it, and it has to be one of my all-time favorites.

It's told in rhyme, with only a few words on each page.

"Beep! Beep! Sheep in a jeep in a hill that's steep.

Uh-oh! The jeep won't go."

The pictures are adorable. They add more humor to the little story. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for the other "sheep" books!




I'm as Quick as a Cricket by Audrey Wood

I got this one a few days ago at our library sale(along with the next one). They've both been read many times since.

I think Grasshopper likes the pictures in this one more than anything. It's pretty low on word count, too.

"I'm as quick as a cricket.

I'm as slow as a snail.

I'm as small as an ant.

I'm as large as a whale."

I got it simply because of the cricket on the front. Grasshopper loves his crickets. I left him with my daddy for about an hour a couple of days ago and when I came to pick him up, he had a little bowl filled with grass and crickets. :)

There ended up only being the one cricket page in the whole book, but both boys really like it anyway.




Skip to My Lou by Nadine Bernard Westcott

This one has cows through it, so of course it's a winner with Grasshopper. As far as I know, it's simply the song, "Skip to my Lou" with pictures. I think the boys really enjoy having the book sung to them. I love how the pictures all tie together, too.

"Cows in the kitchen,
Moo cow moo."

(You see the cows making a mess through the kitchen, but at the corner of the page, you see the pantry door with eyes peeking out).

"Roosters in the pantry,
Cock-a-doodle-do."

Each page leads to the next in some small way. We really enjoy going back after the song and looking at everything going on in the pictures.

These three have gotten the most re-reads this past week.

7 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! We have Skip to My Lou, but I've only ever heard of the other two. I can see your ds's bowl full of crickets!

    I'm so glad you joined in RAT this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love all the sheep books! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look like fun! We haven't read them. Found you through RAT and I'm following now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheep in a Jeep is a favorite in our house. I'll have to look for the others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Sheep in a Jeep. And anything by Audrey Wood. We have found most of our reads through this list:
    http://www.amblesideonline.org/00.shtml

    Or from Sonlight.

    ReplyDelete