Monday, June 25, 2012

Glamorous Illusions by Lisa Tawn Bergren




David C. Cook (June 1, 2012) 416 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

After arriving home from school, Cora Diehl discovers her father in extremely bad health. Soon after, she discovers that she is actually Cora Kensington, the illegitimate daughter of Wallace Kensington. She's invited on a "Grand Tour" as a way to expand her education and get to know her half-siblings, Felix, Vivian, and Lillian.

The chapters mostly swap between Cora's viewpoint(1st person) and Will(3rd person), but Wallace(also 3rd person) gets a couple of sections to himself. Although it was a little different from what I'm used to, I really liked this feature.

I enjoyed getting to learn about so many characters. I did get a couple of the guys confused just a little at the beginning, but it was pretty easy to keep up with all of them after that. The Kensingtons are traveling with another family, so with the "bears" there's 8 traveling, not counting the servants. I also really enjoyed getting to be a part of the "tour". It was fun getting to "see" the artwork and monuments through someone's eyes in 1913.

There was a good bit of drinking. I didn't care for all that at all, especially in a Christian book. I don't care what kind of bow it's tied up in, I don't agree with it. There was also gambling. Honestly, I'm just surprised about some of the content.

Also, I'm used to Christian books in a series mostly being stand alones. Glamorous Illusions is the first part of the whole story. The ending is very abrupt, and I'm very disappointed in that. If I'd known, I would have waited until the whole series was out before reading it.

It was fun after just reading Lisa's River of Time Series to see the writing similarities, especially when this series if COMPLETELY different.

Overall, I really did like it. Without the issues I mentioned, I LOVED it! If you enjoy Christian fiction just a little on the edgier side, definitely give this series a try!

*A huge thanks to David C. Cook via Litfuse Publicity for my review copy!



Win a $350 “Glam” Visa Card Prize Pack from @LisaTBegren &
RSVP for 6/27 Facebook party!


What is our "true" identity? Join the conversation at Lisa Tawn Begren's
Glamorous
Illusions
Author Chat Facebook Event
Page
. On the evening of 6/27 we'll gather to talk about our spiritual journey,
share our stories and a few laughs.



In the meantime, celebrate with Lisa by entering her Glamorous Illusions
Giveaway!






One "glamorous" winner will receive a "Glam Prize Pack":



  • A $350 Visa Cash Card (Oh ... think of what you could do: treat yourself
    to a mani/pedi, a fabulous new dress, dinner for two, or even a two-night escape in a
    lovely hotel - you're only limited by your imagination!)
  • Glamorous Illusions (by Lisa Tawn Begren)


Enter today by clicking one of the icons below. But hurry, the giveaway ends
6/26/12. Winner will be announced at Lisa's
"Glamorous Illusions" Facebook Party on  6/27
 {Fun begins at 5pm
PDT / 8pm EDT}
. Lisa will be hosting an evening of meaningful chat, fun trivia,
laughter, and encouragement - bring your friends! She'll also be giving away some
GREAT prizes: gift certificates, books, and a Book Club Prize Pack! (Ten copies of the
book for your small group or book club and a live chat with Lisa via video or phone.)



So grab a few of your friends and your copy of Glamorous Illusions and join Lisa
on the evening of June 27th for an evening of fun.




Enter via E-mail Enter via FacebookEnter via Twitter


Don't miss a moment of the fun. RSVP
TODAY
and tell your friends via FACEBOOK or TWITTER and increase your chances of winning. Hope to
see you on the 27th!

2 comments:

  1. I downloaded this through Netgalley after reading about it on your blog. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! I really think you will, though. :)

      Delete