Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What's on my Nightstand-June

What's On Your Nightstand

What's on Your Nightstand is hosted by 5 Minutes for Books every 4th Tuesday of the month.

Since last month's post, I've read:




The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale(haven't posted yet)

Mermaid by Carolyn Turgeon





Sixty Acres and A Bride by Regina Jennings

Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss

To Die For: A Novel of Anne Boleyn by Sandra Byrd(re-read and haven't posted yet)





East by Edith Pattou

The Girl in Blue by P.G. Wodehouse

Quiet by Susan Cain(although this one involved some skimming)



For this month, I have planned:

I need to finish The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

That post needs to go up by Friday, so I probably need to finish it today!



The Secret Keeper: A Novel of Kateryn Parr by Sandra Byrd

I really want to get back in this one today. It's one I've been HIGHLY anticipating, and so far it's just as wonderful as I had hoped. The past couple of days haven't provided the most reading time. :P "sigh" I really do need to finish Tom Sawyer for the bookclub, though.



Five Miles South of Peculiar by Angela Elwell Hunt

This one so far reminds me very slightly of The Mitford Series by Jan Karon, which is one of my ALL-TIME favorite series.



The Blood Sugar Solution: The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Feeling Great Now! by Mark Hyman

I've already read a little bit in this one, too. Now if only I could put it all into practice......no dairy, no white sugar, no white flour.....yeah, easy peasy! (I know lots of people already do this and I admire them)!



Glamorous Illusions by Lisa Tawn Bergren

This one sounds really good from the description!



She's Got Issues: Seriously Good News for Stressed-Out, Secretly Scared Control Freaks Like Us by Nicole Unice


The "Time-Permits" Pile:

The rest of these are non-review books, so while I know I there's no way I'll be able to get to all of them, they are the ones I most want to read right now(other than my review books). As time permits, I'll most likely pick from this pile to read.




The Mysterious Benedict Society Series by Trenton Lee Stewart

I hope to at least read book 2. I won copies of The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict for both me AND my library, so I'm really excited about that!



River of Time Series by Lisa Tawn Bergren

I finally got all three of these books, so I'm ready to dive in. I have to admit that I started reading Waterfall several months back, I didn't like it. I didn't get very far, to be fair. SO many of my blogging friends(with ALL different kinds of reading tastes) LOVE this series, though, so I really don't have any doubt at this point that it will grow on me when I give it a better chance! I'm really looking forward to it.




A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter(the June Bookclub pick)

The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriot(That's not the cover I have, but it's so pretty, I have to use it).

Promise Me This by Kathy Golhke

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So many books, so little time! ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm finishing Tom Sawyer today as well.

    Annnd I forgot to mention it but I have June's reading sitting on my pile as well. (Or maybe I did mention it. I've already forgotten.)

    I have Princess Academy on my bookshelf and it's been staring at me! I've almost picked it up twice in the last few weeks but something always bumps it out of the line. Looking forward to reading it at some point (so I hope you liked it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on Tom. So far, I'm liking him about as much as Peter Pan, which isn't much.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you've got quite the list! I just got Glamorous Illusions too - love the cover. And I didn't know there was a new Angela Elwell Hunt...I'm off to track it down even now.

    Happy Reading!

    Trish @ 5MFB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual for me, that cover for Glamorous Illusions is what drew me in, but it does sound really good, too. :)

      Delete
  4. I just finished Five Miles South of Peculiar and it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I'm about a third of the way through, but I like it so far.

      Delete
  5. East is going on my TBR list. I have loved all the renditions of East of the Sun, West of the Moon that I've read so far and this one sounds like another great one.

    Actually, I could probably put your entire Nightstand on my list. You had some intriguing picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED East. It was my second read for EOTS, WOTM, but I really want to read more of them now.

      Delete
  6. Oh boy...I didn't finish Tom. Maybe I'll get the June one read. This book club has been killing me...I haven't finished a book on schedule since January!

    The Peculiar book sounds interesting. You highly recommend??

    You sure read a lot! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not overly liking Tom, unfortunately. :P

      I'm about a third of the way through Peculiar. SO FAR, I really like it, but I'm not ready to recommend it JUST yet. Hopefully, I'll finish it this week.

      All those late nights and early mornings provide lots of reading time(and I don't get up unless I HAVE to)! ;)

      Delete
  7. I have had Choosing Gratitude on my wishlist at Amazon since I read Carrie's review about. Then everytime I make an order I talk myself out of it and after that happens I read another review about it. After reading your review it will definitely be in my next Amazon order!

    Five Miles South of Peculiar looks like a good read. Happy reading this coming month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a hard read at times, but definitely worth it!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read that book by DeMoss, but I've enjoyed her other writings, so I would probably like that, too.

    I bypassed Tom Sawyer -- I'm sorry to say I never really liked him.

    I am looking forward to Girl of the Limberlost, though. I had read that years ago and loved it but don't remember much about it.

    ReplyDelete