Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Top Ten Books That Caught My Attention in May





Shadow and Bone (The Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh Bardugo

The sad thing about this one is that I was offered it for review through Amazon Vine, and I passed. Yes, I'm mad at myself! But, I've comforted myself with the fact that I would have gotten an ARC, which doesn't have the map in it. I can just wait until all three of them are out before reading and I won't have to wait for two years to see what happens. I can also plan to get the final copies that actually have the map, which I'd like to see. Yes, I'm still mad at myself. ;)

Enna Isilee @ Squeaky Books


*************************




The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani

Yet another one that I was offered, and I passed. I honestly didn't think this one would be clean, and I didn't want to risk it. It is clean, though, and I'm a hugely disappointed that I passed. It's not like I don't have a TON of great books waiting on me, though! I DO plan on reading this one at some point, Lord willing!

Laura @ Library of Clean Reads


*************************



I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend by Cora Harrison

Compass Book Ratings


*************************




Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes


*************************



The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors

I saw this one somewhere along the line during a fairy tale giveaway hop. I'm even going to add the description, because it sounds so different!

Emmeline Thistle has always had a mysterious bond with cows, beginning on the night of her birth, when the local bovines saved the infant cast aside to die in the forest. But Emmeline was unaware that this bond has also given her a magical ability to transform milk into chocolate, a very valuable gift in a kingdom where chocolate is more rare and more precious than gold or jewels. Then one day Owen Oak, a dairyman’s son, teaches Emmeline to churn milk into butter—and instead she creates a delicious chocolate confection that immediately makes her a target for every greedy, power-hungry person in the kingdom of Anglund. Only Owen loves Emmeline for who she truly is, not her magical skill. But is his love enough to save her from the danger all around her?

In a departure from her contemporary teen romances, Suzanne Selfors crafts an irresistible re-imagined fairy tale that will tempt readers with a delicious story of love that is sweeter than the richest chocolate. (from Amazon)

That just sounds SO unique that I've GOT to read it! It probably doesn't hurt that Grasshopper still has his "cow" obsession, so cows(not real) are a big part of our lives right now. ;)


*************************




The Magnolia League by Katie Crouch

The second book in this series is coming out in July, but it's listed as most commonly bought with "Fifty Shades of Grey"(not linking on purpose) That alone will cause me to do a GREAT DEAL of looking around as far as content. Has anybody read The Magnolia League?


*************************




Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage


Jill @ The O.W.L.


*************************




Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods by Jennifer Reese

I'd already saw this one at some point and put it on my wishlist. I removed it one night when I was clearing out my list, and the VERY next morning, I put it back on after seeing Bekah's post.

Bekah @ BekahCubed

Alice @ Supratentorial



************************



My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris

Although I did see this cover before the old one, I like it SO much better! I'm excited for the author that they changed it. It sounds like a fun read.


*************************


A Woman's Wisdom: How the Book of Proverbs Speaks to Everything by Lydia Brownback

Carrie mentioned this one in passing one day, but I'm already excited for it. I really like Proverbs and I'd love to do a deeper study in there! I'm pretty sure I put another Proverbs book on my list last month, too.

5 comments:

  1. Oooo agreed. I have The Shoemaker's Wife on my TBR too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was Jane Austen's Best Friend sounds like something I'd like. I added it to my TBR list!

    Kathryn
    Clean Teen Fiction
    Clean Adult Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read and liked I was Jane Austen's Best Friend. I hope you love The Shoemaker's Wife as much as I do if you read it. Thanks for the mention of my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, stay tuned next week because I have several copies of A Woman's Wisdom to give away! :)

    I love these posts of yours. Ok, I saw the title for The Sweetest Spell and I thought that it looked interesting. Then I got to the description . . . the connection with . . . COWS?! I had to laugh. It definitely sounds unique! If you read it, I will await your thoughts before I follow after.

    Make the Bread, Buy the Butter is one that I am also rather interested in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read some Trigiani books and loved them, but I definitely wouldn't classify them as squeaky clean. I'll have to look that one up!

    ReplyDelete