Monday, May 14, 2012

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart


My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I've found it hard to express JUST how much I loved this book! Every time I've attempted to write my thoughts, I've had a hard time pulling them together. I've been hanging on to this post long enough, though, so I might as well give it up.

It's one of the few books that I've placed in my "hug-worthy" category, meaning as I closed the pages, I just wanted to give it a hug. Now I can't believe I left it unread on my shelf for so long. For me, The Mysterious Benedict Society was THE perfect blend of fun, sweet, corny, and mystery. The characters were SO lovable! This is a set of book that I am happy to put on my boys' bookshelf.

The story follows Reynie, Kate, Sticky(George Washington), and Constance. Each of them are very intelligent children, but in different ways. They learn to put their strengths and weaknesses together to form "The Mysterious Benedict Society".

It was a bit creepier than I was anticipating, though not enough for me not to recommend it. It's one of those rare books that can(and should) be enjoyed by ALL ages. I'm not opposed to my boys reading just crazy fun books that probably won't be as enjoyable as they grow older, but I think this is an intelligent read that will grow with them.

I loved it and definitely recommend giving it a try!

5 comments:

  1. I have this one on my bookshelf, and like you, it's taking me a long time to get to it. But you've convinced me to read it sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean by hug-worthy books! I enjoyed this one a lot, too. Maybe not quite as much as Carrie, but quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking I would love to read this series again--just for a fun little escape from reality! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like "hug-worthy"!!

    So glad you enjoyed it...creepiness and all!

    ReplyDelete