Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass


HarperTeen (April 24, 2012) 336 pages

Description:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


My Rating: 4/5 stars(I liked it)

With so many action packed dystopian reads flooding the market these days, I think the quieter ones end up causing disappointment. While there are a few action scenes through The Selection, it's a pretty quiet read. I've saw several advertisements that it's like The Bachelor. It is. I don't watch The Bachelor these days, but back in the day, I watched every episode of the first season. It also reminded me of The Princess by Lori Wick. I'm not sure why, because there really isn't many similarities. I did think of that book while reading The Selection, though.

America Singer lives in a world divided into 8 castes. She lives as a "5", which means sometimes her family goes hungry. The higher a person's caste number is, the more they struggle for even the most basic of necessities. America has been secretly dating a "6" for the past two years, but when an invitation arrives for America to possibly "date" the prince(along with 34 other girls), her world drastically changes. There should be no surprise that a love triangle is involved. For the most part, I really like the way the love triangle develops, though!

I thought The Selection was a fun and entertaining read! It helped pass the time through a late night and early morning. I ended up finishing it in less than 24 hours, which is an amazing accomplishment for me these days! I'm looking forward to picking up the next two in the series when they are published!

Content:
There was a bit of mild profanity. "Da**" and "He**" were both used a couple of times. "Good G**" was said once. There was a bit of passionate kissing, but it doesn't go past that.

*I was provided an Advance Reader's Copy through the Amazon Vine program in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. It does sound like a fun, diverting read. I really, really like the cover art. And the idea for the book is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the quieter books so that bodes well for me. Action can be good but if it's not well-done, then why bother? I also watched an entire season of The Bachelor (I can't even remember which one) so that aspect also intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete