Sunday, April 29, 2012

East by Edith Pattou(Classic Double Reading Challenge)


The Classic Double Reading Challenge is hosted by One Librarian's Book Reviews




HERE is my first "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" post.

My Rating for East: 5/5 stars

My thoughts:

LOVED IT! I did NOT want to put it down, but at 500 pages, I was forced to occasionally.

East is very loosely based on East of the Sun, West of the Moon(read HERE). The author has a very thin outline of the original, but she fills in most of the details herself. This is definitely how I prefer my fairy tale re-tellings! I especially love how she portrays the trolls. She added her own little twist on most of the characters.

When I first started reading it, I was very briefly hesitate about liking the writing style. The chapters alternate between Rose, Neddy(her brother), Rose's Father, The Troll Queen, and the White Bear. It almost came off like a reality show interview initially. Don't let that turn you off, though, because after a few chapters, I quickly realized how much I liked this method. I enjoyed getting the different viewpoints of what was happening, especially with The Troll Queen! I think it was an amazing way to fill in all the little extra details I otherwise wouldn't have known.

East is most definitely going on my keeper shelf!


4 comments:

  1. I didn't even remember the alternating viewpoints! All I remember is loving it despite its size :)

    ReplyDelete