Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What's on My Nightstand

What's On Your Nightstand

What's on Your Nightstand is hosted each month by 5 Minutes for Books.


Since last month's post, I've posted thoughts on:

Lit! A Christian Guide to Reading Books by Tony Reinke

The Beautiful Wife by Sandy Ralya (This was actually partial thoughts. I'm still studying in it. Great book!)

The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen

Blue Moon Promise by Colleen Coble

Almost Amish by Nancy Sleeth

More Beauty, Less Beast by Debora Coty

A Love That Multiplies by Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar

Stand By Me by Neta Jackson

Heartless by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

I did a combined post with quick thoughts on:
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie(The book and movie)
Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
Growing Up Ziglar by Julie Norman Ziglar
(Most of those were "did not finish" books).

I also read:

By the Light of the Silvery Moon by Tricia Goyer, but that review won't go up until April 6th. I liked it, though!

This month, I plan on reading:



Moonblood by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

I can't even tell you how excited I was to pull this one out of my mailbox. I'm reading it right now. I was actually in the midst of re-reading Moonblood, but I can't keep myself away from Moonblood long enough to finish it!



The Selection by Kiera Cass

Due to a late night and early morning with the boys(not by choice), I'm already almost finished with this one, and I just got it yesterday. It was a better choice for those "trying to stay awake" hours than Moonblood. I need a bit more concentration for those books! I really like The Selection, though! It's a very quiet, fun kind of read.



Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris

I already regret the decision to take this one on for review! I haven't read very far in it, but there is lots of profanity, including the "f" word. "sigh" I will try my best to make sure my thoughts about the book are NOT based on the profanity, though. I know that kind of thing doesn't bother everyone as much as it does me. ;)



The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck

I've heard GREAT things about this book so far.



Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy by Nancy Leigh DeMoss

This one has been recommended by several people, so I picked it for one of my non-fiction reads this month.



Need You Now by Beth Wiseman

I don't read much Amish fiction these days, so when I saw that Beth Wiseman had decided to write a "regular" fiction book, I knew I wanted to read it! My cover is different than this one, though.



Sixty Acres and a Bride by Regina Jennings

This one is a contemporary re-telling of the book of Ruth. I don't really care for Biblical fiction where the names are the same, but details are left up to the author. I'm uncomfortable with it. I do love re-tellings, though, when the names and settings are changed.



The Girl in Blue by P.G. Wodehouse

This one is for April's Bookclub pick.

Reading to Know - Book Club



Thank You, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse

I'm hoping to squeeze this one in, too, since Wodehouse's books are pretty short.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome list.
    I'm with you on curse words.
    They bug me.
    Like I expect my writers to be more creative with expressing anger or frustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm completely with you on the creativity thing! I know a lady who expresses frustration or surprise by saying, "Shoot fire and save the monkeys". It always makes me smile. :)

      Delete
  2. I was supposed to read Lit this month, but um--it's sort of lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always losing books! One of my lost books ended up, of all places, BACK on the bookshelf, where my husband put it. ;)

      Delete
  3. I've heard Choosing Gratitude is good. And I'm intrigued by Sixty Acres! Like you, I like re-tellings where the names are changed. Have you read Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers? Excellent book!

    I haven't heard of your Wodehouse book. I haven't picked mine yet but need to do that soon.

    Happy April reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been about 4 years since I've read Redeeming Love, so my memory is a bit foggy. I recently found a used copy, so I plan on re-reading it eventually.

      I think the word "blue" in the title somewhat drew me to picking it. There's SO many of them! :)

      Delete
  4. Klassen's and Wiseman's books sound interesting. I wasn't interested in Lit! but I've heard so much about it from so many bloggers I think I need to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't going to read it until I saw Carrie's review. Now I've heard nothing but great things about it, and I really liked it, too!

      Delete
  5. I enjoy Julie Klassen so much--glad to read that others enjoy her as well. I am reading the Wedding Dress right now, and I am waiting for the Goyer book. Looks like we have lots of reading in common right now!

    I didn't link up this month, but thanks for sharing your list!

    Lauren from 5M4B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neta Jackson--I unexpectedly LOVED the Yada Yada prayer group--they were all about my age so I could relate I guess. I haven't read any of her other books though.

    You reminded me how much fun I used to have with P.B. Wodehouse--might have to get one for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for commenting on my blog! I haven't heard of any of these books, so I'll have to look into some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. See, when I have to catch up with your blog in one fell swoop, I can already see that you've made much progress on your list!

    Again, you choose books with interesting and pretty cover art. I like the looks of The Wedding Dress.

    I really (really, really) need to re-read Choosing Gratitude.

    And HURRAY for Wodehouse! :)

    ReplyDelete