Monday, March 26, 2012

Quick Thoughts on a Few Books

I'm attempting to play a little bit of catch-up today!


Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

I read Peter Pan back in January. I've learned that I'm not a Peter Pan fan. I don't recall ever watching the Disney version, but I was still surprised as I read the book! It was darker than I expected. You can definitely tell that it was intended more for a boy audience(I'm not saying girls won't enjoy it, because plenty do). The dark part didn't bother me, though. It wasn't that dark.

I just didn't get it. I do understand the whole "holding on to childhood" thing. At least part of it. I know I didn't understand everything, because there were parts I was just flat-out confused! The "kiss"?!?!? Is that a childhood symbol of some sort. Again, I didn't get it.

I didn't like Peter. At all! He's mean, arrogant, and abusive. He doesn't remember things. The other boys are scared of him, and go along with absolute craziness just to keep him happy.

*Peter Pan fans: Please don't let my dislike of him offend you. I still respect all the fans out there! ;)

Content:

"A**" is used several times. There was a great deal of killing and just in general "boy" stuff. There's also one line that might be a little inappropriate with today's meaning of a certain word. At least for young children, especially very conservative families, I'd recommend reading this book first before handing it over. I'm not saying don't hand it over, just make sure you're comfortable with it.




Peter Pan (Movie)

I tried to watch this movie several times! I didn't like it at all. I probably got halfway through it. I thought the acting was horrible. Most of the actors and actresses grated on my nerves. The movie is narrated by a woman, which annoyed me. Why not have a man, since Barrie was a man? The books read like he's sitting in front of a group of children telling a story. I don't know why the movie wouldn't want to do the same thing. I know movies always change a great deal from the books, but it annoyed me what they changed in this movie. I just didn't like it at all!




Peter and the Starcatchers by Ridley Pearson and Dave Barry

This is a re-telling of Peter Pan. Actually, I think this book, the first one in the series, is a re-telling of Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens. I'm not positive on that, though. I tried reading Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, and realized there was no sense torturing myself.
I got about halfway through Peter and the Starcatchers before deciding to give up for now. I don't hate it. I'm just not excited about it, and I've had a hard time making myself pick it up to finish. I had planned on reading a set of books each month for the Classics Double Challenge, and this book set has greatly hindered my progress. There's just too many other books I'm really excited about reading! I DO plan on coming back to this one someday.

Content:

Remember, I didn't finish it, but "Da**" is used a few times by the halfway point. I want to jump on my soapbox at this point, but I'll refrain. This is supposed to be a young reader series, though.



Growing Up Ziglar by Julie Ziglar Norman

I gave up at about the halfway point on this book, too. Based on this post, I know it looks like I give up on a lot of books, but I really don't!
When it comes to Non-Fiction, I find it really distracting when the author and I completely disagree on certain Biblical teachings that I believe are crystal clear. That is the case with this book. I almost never completely agree with everything an author says. The world is full of various opinions. It usually doesn't bother me. It really depends on what the book is trying to teach. I am pretty open-minded on most things. :)
So, I'm not telling you not to read this book or that I hated it or anything. There were just books sitting on my shelf that I think I will get more out of. It probably didn't help matters that I had never heard of Zig Ziglar or his daughter. If you know of them, you will probably enjoy it more.

4 comments:

  1. Ha, 0 for 3 - looks like Peter Pan is not your cup of tea. :) I've been meaning to read the original for a while now, but never done it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had full expectations of loving him, too! :)

      Delete
  2. I've seen several Peter Pan adaptations but have never read the book. What a bummer that the character is so unlikeable! I still think Hook is my favorite. Robin Williams makes an awesome Peter Pan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hook is one of my favorites! I definitely agree with you on Robin Williams! Even if he was a bad guy in the movie, I thought Dustin Hoffman was an awesome Captain Hook, too.

      Delete