Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Shakespeare's Lady by Alexa Schnee



Guideposts (April 3, 2012) 360 pages

My Thoughts:

I have mixed feelings about Shakespeare's Lady! It was another one that arrived in my mailbox as a surprise. I opened it up to read a few pages, and completely got sucked into the story! What I didn't realize at first was that the whole book centers around adultery. Almost everyone in the book is committing adultery in some way or another. That's just not something I approve of, so I generally don't read stories like that.

The story mainly centers around Emilia Bassano and the possibility that she was Shakespeare's mistress. So, we read about two married people falling in love, and not with their spouses. Again, I just don't approve of that, and it was hard to read about at times. Most of the book was based on actual events, though. There's also lots of sexual references, but Alexa NEVER writes any details. It is a very clean book, which I really appreciate. I would NOT label it as Christian fiction, though.

Now that I have that part out of the way, I did very much enjoy the rest of the story. I actually loved this book other than all the adultery. I was shocked to find out that it was written by an 18 year old! This girl has got talent!!

Just in case you're like me, and didn't really retain a whole lot of history information, Shakespeare's Lady takes place in England during the late 1500s, early 1600s. Queen Elizabeth I(Anne Boleyn's daughter) was reigning at that time, and she does play a very big role in Shakespeare's Lady. I really enjoyed all the historical detail, and I'm not really a big history fan. Alexa has created a beautiful first novel, and I can't wait to see what else she pens!

*Content: "D***" is used once, and "A**" is used once. That's it as far as profanity. I think God's name was used in vain once(Thank G**). As I mentioned above, while there's definitely lots of sexual references, it's done very tastefully, and never any details. If the whole adultery part doesn't bother you, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Honestly, though, I have no intentions of reading anymore "adultery" books. On another note, I wouldn't really label this book as a romance. It's very light in that department.

*I received an ARC from Summerside Press in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment