Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Art of Falling in Love by Joe Beam



Howard Books; Reissue edition (February 7, 2012) 240 pages

My thoughts:

The Art of Falling in Love ended up being a bit different than I expected. It seemed more of an education in the "how's" and "why's" of love, as opposed to self-help. It was kind of like a science book on love. Surprisingly, I did find it interesting. I came away with several thought provoking ideas, and many things that I NEED to put into practice. So, obviously it is a self-help book, just not as much as I was expecting.

I wasn't sure I was going to like it as I started reading. There's parts that somewhat came off as an advertisement for the program that the book is based upon.(I'd never heard of the Lovepath program before reading this book). The author does Marriage Helper weekend workshops, and there are times that he takes brief "commercial breaks". They are brief and there are only a few of them, so I won't hold it against the book!

I loved that the author gives "real life" examples throughout the book. It helped me put into perspective what he was trying to say. Those examples also helped me to better see things that I need to change.

Another thing to like(or dislike, depending on what you want) is that the book is written for all the stages of love.....single, dating, married, borderline divorce. The author seems to cover all the bases.

I really enjoyed reading The Art of Falling in Love, and found it very intriguing!

To end my thoughts, I'll leave you with a few quotes from the book that I really like.


"Real life, of course, is a little messier, a little less perfect than fairy tales. Even so, we become childlike again when we meet someone special. Falling in love is the moment in life that feels the most like a fairy tale." (page 92)

"Rather than buy into the love touted in movies and novels, one would do so much better-and have a much more fulfilling life across the years-if he or she understood that the goal of human coupling is not excitement, but a deep, abiding contentment that comes from fulfillment. It is not a constant thrill, but rather a lifelong acceptance. It is not a fluttering stomach and constant intrusive thinking of the beloved, but an assurance that there is one person who loves you, day in and day out, who will always accept you as you are, and who will stand beside you no matter what." (page 94)

"Your children did not ask to be born. You brought them into this world. It is not they who owe you safety, guidance, and love, but it is you who owe them.
I am still scandalized every time I hear some man or woman so easily dismiss that responsibility by saying something like, 'Well, this is really better for the children.' No. That is nothing more than rationalization so that you can abandon your responsibilities to those who need you more than they need anything else on this earth." (page 149)

*A huge thanks to Howard books for providing me a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion!

1 comment:

  1. The science of love sounds a bit counter intuitive, but I like your description of the Art of Love.

    ReplyDelete