Monday, January 9, 2012

Top Ten Children's Books I Read in 2011

I'm finally getting this list up! It's was my hardest, because I don't document most of the children's books that pass through my hands. There are those that stand out in my mind, though, and that's the ones listed below. These are MY favorites....not necessarily Grasshopper's favorites. I think most of them are still for later on as far as his reading goes.

These are in no order!




My First Hands-On Bible

Most of y'all probably expected this one to be on here. I just adore this book!





Donkey-Donkey by Roger Duvoisin

This one is just SO cute and sweet AND has a great message. It's one of those books that have won a special place in my heart. ;)





The Biggest Kiss by Joanna Walsh

This one simply made it because it's so sweet! The pictures are adorable, too! I think it would make a perfect Valentine's book.





Field Trips: Bug Hunting, Animal Tracking, Bird-watching, Shore Walking by Jim Arnosky

This is one I checked out from the library, but it's definitely one I want to add to our shelves someday. It made me want to start a nature journal of my own!




Grumpy Bird by Jeremy Tankard

Grumpy Bird reminds me of myself at times!





The Big Book of Exclamations by Teri Kaminski Peterson

I have Annette to thank for this one! It's one that Grasshopper LOVES, too. It's awesome for speech therapy and he really enjoys working with it.





Maggie and the Pirate by Ezra Jack Keats

This one didn't make it because I thought the story was GREAT or anything. It was a bit weird! I like books with a bit of a weird factor, though. :) It was SO unusual it just stands out in my mind. And the pictures are just gorgeous! They're a little dark and a bit sad, like the story.






Maximus the Monster Roars No! by Dorothea DePrisco

I just like the message of this book of controlling tempers. I wish Grasshopper could comprehend it. We'll pull it out more later on, though!





Sam Sheep Can't Sleep by Phil Roxbee Cox

This is another one I just thought was cute.




My last one is Busy Bugs(Discovery Kids), but I can't find it online. I've looked at Amazon and PBS and all and just can't find any information on it. I bought it online from Totsy, when there was a really good deal on books. I do hate when I can't find books I KNOW exist online. I like to buy vintage books when I'm at used book stores and thrift shops. Then I come home and "look them up", just to see what I've got. :) There's one particular one I have that I've searched high and low and it's like it just doesn't exist. Maybe I'll post about it one day.

Busy Bugs is obviously about bugs, but it has all kinds of learning skills in it. It teaches about bugs, and in doing so adds in teaching about colors, numbers, verbs. I just think it's a really cool book, even if it is about bugs. Sorry I don't have pictures and links for this one. :P

That will be my last "Top Ten" post for a little while. They just really took forever with all the links and pictures. :P I have several book reviews to write up now. :)

3 comments: