Sunday, January 22, 2012

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

L. M. Montgomery Reading Challenge


January is the Lucy Maud Montgomery Reading Challenge over at Reading to Know.





Anne of Green Gables was my introduction into the writing of Lucy Maud Montgomery. I have fell in LOVE with it! I adore this book! This is one of those books I just loved so much, I wanted to hug it. Now I don't remember actually ever hugging a book, but there are those rare books that just earn a place in my heart. This is one of them.

You may remember from the last challenge that I watched the movies first. Anne got on my nerves just a little bit at the beginning of the movie best I remember. She did win my heart pretty quickly, though. I don't know if it was because of already knowing I loved her character or what, but I loved EVERY minute of reading her story.

I feel like I got to know Matthew and Marilla better, too. I really related to Matthew.

"Matthew, much to his own surprise, was enjoying himself. Like most quiet folks he liked talkative people when they were willing to do the talking themselves and did not expect him to keep up his end of it."


I was surprised that Anne of Green Gables ended up being as funny as it was. I wasn't expecting to laugh out loud(literally!) so much.

"Oh, we have named that little round pool over in Mr. Barry's field Willowmere. I got that name out of the book Diana lent me. That was a thrilling book, Marilla. The heroine had five lovers. I'd be satisfied with one, wouldn't you? She was very handsome and she went through great tribulations. She could faint as easy as anything. I'd love to be able to faint, wouldn't you, Marilla?"

And, Anne's story of Cordelia and Geraldine! Hilarious!

This book was like a breath of fresh air! I couldn't help thinking that a book like this is the perfect Sunday afternoon read(the afternoons that are actually peaceful). Montgomery's many descriptions of nature made for quite a relaxing read.

"Oh, Matthew, isn't it a wonderful morning? The world looks like something God had just imagined for his own pleasure, doesn't it?"




***As a side note, when I was searching through Amazon deciding which one to link to, I saw this Anne of Green Gables Coloring Book. (I ended up just linking to the one I have. It's a combination of Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea, but it was the cheapest I could find. They are UNabridged, which is important to me!)
How cool is it that there's a coloring book?! I don't know if a little girl is in my future, but I think I'll have to get this for her if I have one. I do have a niece, though! :) (And nephew #7 is on the way. We're surrounded by sweet little boys)!


I'm still hoping to finish up with Anne of Avonlea before the end of the challenge, but we'll see.

9 comments:

  1. You know, I don't think I have ever read these. I must change that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read this book for the first time this month, and I had a lot of the same reactions you did. I enjoyed getting to know Matthew, Marilla, and the other characters more, and also found Anne to be more enjoyable and relatable in the books than the movie. I definitely found them funny as well! The part about their story club was particularly amusing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juju-
    Definitely! :)

    Audrey-
    I don't think I've ever read about "deaths and murders" and laughed before this book! Their stories were definitely amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool coloring book! I was thrilled to find an unabrigded illustrated edition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette,
    I would be thrilled, too! I especially love illustrations with the Classic books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want the coloring book! I think I have read the first two, maybe three Anne books... I really need to read them all. A couple years ago, I bought tons of LMM books, but then I became a book reviewer... Oops. Hopefully as my girls grow, I'll get to read them all out loud with them and share them perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MJ-
    I so know what you mean with book reviewing! After reading Anne, I would love to just read each and every one of LMM's books! There's just so many books that come up for review that I want to read, too, and it's hard to pass them up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book too! Didn't love the other books quite as much (except for Rilla's story). Good luck finishing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What can I do but GRIN!?

    I didn't know there was a coloring book.

    !!!

    ReplyDelete