Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Live Abundantly and Live Reflectively by Lenya Heitzig and Penny Rose



David C. Cook (November 1, 2011)

Live Abundantly: A Study in the Book of Ephesians and Live Reflectively: Lessons from the Watershed Moments of Moses are really nice devotional books. They look very "Spring-y". They're a little bit wider than the average devotional, which leaves more room to write if you choose to do so in the book. I'd actually recommend a separate notebook, since there is a great deal of journal opportunity with all the questions. I think it's great that they are part of a set. You can collect all of them, and they really are lovely books!

All of that said, they aren't really for me. I don't have anything negative to say about them, though. The devotionals are very short. They are suppose to be 20 minute studies. It might take you 30 seconds to read the devotional, so the rest of the 20 minutes is really spent on answering questions, journal entries, and Bible reading(which is always a good thing!). I'm just not the "answering questions and journal entry" kind of person. As much as I would like to be, I've just had to get honest with myself and realize it's just not for me. Also, I have different beliefs than what the authors do. Again, I don't say any of that to be negative! IF you like to do a great deal of writing with your devotionals, I highly recommend you give these a try! And, if I knew someone that liked writing with devotionals, I wouldn't hesitate to give these as gifts.

I'm adding this in:
I gave the Live Reflectively book to my momma, and after talking to her last night, she loves it! She loves all the questions and reflecting. She also told me that she's already learned a great deal about Moses that she didn't already know. It was almost enough to convince me I should try again! ;) So, that proves it's really all about what your tastes are.



*Thanks to B&B Media Group for my review copies in exchange for my honest opinion!

2 comments:

  1. When I first got these, I somehow expected them to be...not all that much. I don't know, maybe it's the cover. They're pretty, yes, but not what one would usually expect from a serious devotional.

    Nonetheless, I was completely blown away when I started with Live Abundantly. I AM definitely the journaling type of person and I can't fathom how anyone could work through the lessons in just 20 minutes: it takes me all of an hour at the least! The questions are definitely teaching me to take apart scriptures and find corresponding scriptures like never before. <<THAT'S what I like about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eva-
    I'm so glad you gave another perspective! Your next to last sentence definitely makes me want to be a journaling person! And, like my momma, you've about got me convinced that I need to become one. :)

    ReplyDelete