Monday, December 5, 2011

A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander


Bethany House (November 1, 2011) 432 pages

Description from back cover:

Claire Laurent's greatest aspiration is to paint something that will bring her acclaim. Yet her father insists she work as a copyist. A forger. When she's forced to flee her home, her path collides with attorney Sutton Monroe, who shows her kindness by not turning her in to authorities. But when he later refuses to come to her aid, Claire fears she's sorely misjudged him. Finding herself among the elite of Nashville society, Claire believes her dream of creating a lasting impression in the world of art is within reach--but only if her past remains hidden.

The Federal Army destroyed Sutton's home, confiscated his land, and threatens to destroy his family's honor. His determination to reclaim what belongs to him reveals a truth that may cost him more than he ever imagined--as well as the woman he loves.

Set at Nashville's historic Belmont Mansion, a stunning antebellum manor built by Adelicia Acklen, A Lasting Impression is a sweeping love story about a nation mending after war, the redemption of those wounded, and the courage of a man and woman to see themselves--and each other--for who they really are.

My Review:

A Lasting Impression is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read! It has earned a well deserved place on my keeper shelf, which is getting harder and harder to do these days! There are just no words I could possibly say to express just how much I enjoyed this book. Really!

Tamera has created some of the most real characters. I felt like I knew them, like I was right there in the story with them. I laughed with them and cried with them. A Lasting Impression was one of the sweetest romances I've had the pleasure of reading, but it also went so much deeper. There are so many spiritual lessons throughout its pages, and the historical descriptions are GORGEOUS. I was pulled completely into this book!

After finishing A Lasting Impression, I read the "Author's Note" section(yes, I actually waited to the end on this one), and discovered that the story was based on real people. These are always my favorite books, so it shouldn't have came as such a surprise. It did make me like the book even more, though. There were times while I was reading through the tears that I was thinking Tamera really shows no mercy when it come to her characters. ;) The fact that it really happened explains that part, but it also breaks my heart. I hate that one character had to endure the pain that she did.

This wasn't the most edgy Christian fiction I've ever read, but I would consider it a bit edgy, just in case that might bother you. It wasn't enough to keep me from liking it, obviously! It's on the lower side of edgy, though.

Highly recommended!!

*Thanks to Bethany House Publishers for my review copy in exchange for my honest opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment