Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Hidden Gift of Helping by Stephen G. Post


Jossey-Bass (February 22, 2011) 224 pages

The Hidden Gifts of Helping ended up being a good bit different than what I thought it would be. It's mainly written for someone who has recently moved or is going to move. That would not me. At least, I don't have any plans to move. Maybe it was because of the fact that I wasn't the main intended audience, but I had an extremely difficult time getting through it. I don't typically skim when it comes to books, but I ended up skimming a good bit with this one. I don't want my review to come off negative, because I haven't read every word, but I also can't completely recommend it for the same reason.

I did see a great deal of good advice. I think that everyone could probably benefit from many of the points made. It's not completely just for "moving" people.

"Holding grudges is a terrible way to live. It saps all the positive energy from life and drives us into an emotional dungeon. Nothing interferes with creativity and good judgement more than bearing grudges, and few things have destroyed more otherwise good and promising lives. Forgiveness, difficult as it may sometimes be, makes us stronger, wiser, and happier, no matter what we have lost."

I write that quote thinking of myself right now! The devil has really worked on me lately. I've had to pray many prayers to release anger that I have for complete strangers. The internet definitely has its downfalls!

So, you will most likely come away with some wisdom from this book!

The main points of the book are how much you will benefit from helping others. It shows through a great deal of statistics, history information, and encouraging stories that if you are going through a hard time of any sort, helping others will do wonders for your state of mind, and in some cases, health.

I apologize for not having a better review! There's no doubt in my mind that if you will be moving or have recently moved, you will greatly benefit from The Hidden Gifts of Helping!

Thanks to B&B Media Group for my review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Well, huh. I AM planning to move in the next few months, so if I had time to squeeze it in, now would be ideal :)

    ReplyDelete