Monday, December 12, 2011

Common English Bible, Week 2

Well, my plans for posting about the Common English Bible once a week hasn't work out like I had planned. "sigh"

First of all, I'll announce the winner of the Common English Bible from my last post.

Linda Kish

She's already been contacted.

Now I'll get to my thoughts so far. When I learned that the Common English Bible was gender neutral, I was extremely disappointed. While I like to consider myself pretty open-minded on things, I have to admit I was very much close-minded on the gender neutral issue. When I learned that my favorite children's Bible of all time is also gender neutral, I realized I wasn't being fair. I hadn't even noticed anything "off" while reading My First Hands-On Bible. I'm NOT saying that I won't. I just haven't yet. I have to say the same thing about the CEB. I haven't found any verses YET that I feel the meaning of the verse was changed. When a verse is specifically talking about a male or female, the CEB keeps it that way. The only time SO FAR that I've seen the gender neutral change is for when I truly believe it was meant for both male and female. If you know of any verses where this is not the case, PLEASE give me those verses! The only problem SO FAR that I've had will be pointed out below.

As I mentioned on my last post about the Common English Bible, I really have no intentions of making this my reading Bible. I really like my New King James Version Study Bible and don't have any plans of changing that. The CEB is still simply for having a different take on Bible verses while studying.

Other than saying that, I'm simply going to give you the NKJV and the CEB translations of a few sets of verses, so you can have a bit more comparison.

Matt. 19:9 (CEB) "I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Matthew 19:19 (NKJV) "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery."

As you can see, the CEB took away an important part of that verse! That's a major negative for me, but I have no doubt that there is faults with every translation! I'll consider that strike 1.

Romans 7:2-3 (CEB) "(2)A married woman is united with her husband under the Law while he is alive. But if her husband dies, she is released from the Law concerning her husband. (3) So then, if she lives with another man while her husband is alive, she's committing adultery. But if her husband dies, she's free from the Law, so she won't be committing adultery if she marries someone else."

Romans 7:2-3 (NKJV) "(2)For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. (3)So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man."

1 Corinthians 14: 34-35 (CEB) "(34)the women should keep quiet during the meeting. They are not allowed to talk. Instead, they need to get under control, just as the Law says. (35)If they want to learn something, they should ask their husbands at home. It is disgraceful for a woman to talk during the meeting."

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 (NKJV) "(34)Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. (35)And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church."

Mark 16:16 (CEB) "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever doesn't believe will be condemned."

Mark 16:16 (NKJV) "He who believes and is baptized will be saved, but he who does not believe will be condemned."

The last verse up there is an example of gender neutral. I don't believe that it was only talking to men. There's no doubt in my mind that it was referring to both men and women, so I don't feel the meaning was changed.

Please feel free to leave me your thoughts, and any verses you think I'd like to know about!

1 comment: