Friday, December 9, 2011

Book Club- 2012

Reading to Know - Book Club


I am thrilled to let you about an online book club that was created by Carrie from Reading to Know! I'm really excited about it, because as much as I would love to be a part of one, I have never had that opportunity. Until now! I think this is a wonderful way to pull me out of my reading comfort zone, and have a few books picked for me. You never know! I (or you) could end up with a new, unexpected favorite book.

Here's the line up:

January - Beyond Opinion, by Ravi Zacharias. Selected by Sky.

February - Running Away to Home, by Jennifer Wilson. Selected by *Carrie* at With All That I've Been Given.

March - The Pilgrim's Progress, by John Bunyan. Selected by Shonya at Learning How Much I Don't Know.

April - Any title by P.G. Wodehouse of your choosing (selected by Tim at Diary of an Autodidact) Just choose one. Especially if you've never read Wodehouse before. (Happy to make suggestions if you need some.)

May - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain. Selected by Amy at Hope is in the Word.

June - A Girl of the Limberlost, by Gene Stratton Porter. Selected by Stephanie at Simple Things.

July - Any book in the Chronicles of Narnia series (as part of the Chronicles of Narnia Reading Challenge hosted annually here at Reading to Know, hosted by myself) (Again, just choose one. And make the most of it!)

Chronicles of Narnia Reading Challenge


August - The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, by Catherynne M. Valente. Selected by Bluerose at Bluerose's Heart.

September - Professionalizing Motherhood, by Jill Savage. Selected by Stephanie at Stephanie's Mommy Brain.

October - Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe. Selected by Barbara H. at Stray Thoughts.

November - Jewel of Persia, by Roseanna White. Selected by Annette at Live, Learn, Love.

December - A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens. Selected by Carrie



As you can see, I picked The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. I feel a little bit like the black sheep of the group, which really makes me hope this ends up being a good book! ;) I think there's a good and interesting line up of books, though! I like the mix of Classics and Non-Fiction.

I already own books for 3 of the months, and I can get 5 of them at my library. That only leaves 4 for me to either find used or order. Most of them are very easy to find if you decide to participate!

I had a hard time choosing my pick! Just in case you're curious what other books were knocked off the list, here were my top competitors.

At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon (I knew I wanted a fantasy or fairy tale type of book AND one that I had never read, so this one was the first to go).

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
by Jessica Day George

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell(I don't think this one is fairy tale or fantasy, but it did stay longer).

The Aviary was the last to go, but I still REALLY want to read it eventually! There were two factors that made me pick The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. One, there are a whole lot of 5-star reviews at Amazon. That doesn't always mean much to me, but when blindly picking a book that others will be reading(hopefully!), I know the chance that others will like it are a little better. Two,(and the main reason) the pictures! Go to the Amazon page and scroll down a bit for a sample of the pictures. Now I know that the pictures won't necessarily make the story great, but for me, they do help. I love artwork connected with books. I really have high hopes for this book, though!

Be sure to check out Annette's post. She tells why she picked The Jewel of Persia, which is what encouraged me to post a little of WHY I picked what I did. :)

I hope you all decide to join in the fun!

3 comments:

  1. I'm GLAD you picked the book you did. It looks like so much fun! I also love that you listed the books that you wanted to pick. (I had a great many also and, um, ran out of months!) Ah well! I think it's a good mix and I'm glad you are leading a month.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO! Not a black sheep! I love that we didn't know what others were picking and that Carrie gave us free reign! I can't wait to read all of these books!

    For the book you need, but don't have, ask your library to get it. I agree...tough to invest in a book that you aren't sure of. I would suggest doing it asap since it's needed for February.

    (Thanks for the link!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie-
    It is really hard narrowing down! That was the short list! :)

    Annette-
    That is a GREAT idea!! My library JUST got the whole requesting books thing back in the last month. We couldn't before that. Lord willing, I will put that request in Monday and hopefully it will get there in time. Thank you for mentioning that!!

    ReplyDelete