Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What's On Your Nightstand? (November 22nd, 2011)

What's On Your Nightstand

I absolutely love reading other people's What's on Your Nightstand posts, but I've always felt I was too much of a "spur of the moment" reader to be able to participate. I really want to organize my reading just a tiny bit more, so I'm going to participate this month and see how it goes. I've told myself this isn't a contract or anything! ;)

I've actually already got several books read this month that are simply waiting on a review to be finished and posted. These are the books I hope to read through the end of November/December, though.



Life Application Study Bible Devotional: Daily Wisdom from the Life of Jesus
-I'm still trying to do this devotional, but I won't lie. I'm not doing it as much or as detailed as I want!!

The Hidden Gifts of Helping: How the Power of Giving, Compassion, and Hope Can Get Us Through Hard Times Stephen G. Post
-I have this one for review. I've barely started it, but I do know that it's different than what I expected. I'm not the target reader for it, but I'm still hoping to come out of it with some wisdom. Hopefully!!

A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander
-This is another review book. I've started it already, and I'm really liking it so far.

Alabama Brides by Sandra Robbins
-I won this book, and I really just can't wait to read it!! I'm looking forward to finally reading some of the works of Mrs. Sandra.

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
-I had a bit of time to kill before picking up Grasshopper from class, so I looked around a bit at the library. I was simply dropping off some books I had checked out. I had no intentions of checking out anymore books! I knew I had plenty at home to keep me occupied(for years!). Can you believe I walked out of the library with 3 books and 2 movies?! My goodness, I have no self control when it comes to books!
I've been curious about this one for awhile, though, and apparently decided it was time to read it.

Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins
-This is one of the other library books I ended up with. It looks cute.

The Strictest School in the World: Being the Tale of a Clever Girl, a Rubber Boy and a Collection of Flying Machines, Mostly Broken (The Mad Misadventures of Emmaline and Rubberbones) by Howard Whitehouse
-I bought the whole set for my birthday back in July/August(autographed!). :) I really just wanted to read them myself, but I figured, especially with autographs, they would be something great to pass down to one of my sons one day. I hate that I haven't made time for them yet.

I got to shopping at a goodwill store a few towns away a couple of weeks ago, and found some great books. I mean, jump up and down excited kind of books(for me)! Then there's simply the books already on my shelf that I've been wanting to read awhile. Here's a picture of what I'd love to read if I had tons more reading time.


I'm pretty well stretching it with my list for this month as it is, though, so maybe some of them will make next month! :) And, I'm very grateful that I don't have all the reading time in the world. Especially lately, I've been reminded just how blessed I am to have to my rowdy little boys. Yes, even when I want to go out back and scream at the top of my lungs. I love them very much! ;)

So, what's on your nightstand?

6 comments:

  1. Sweet! You go girl!

    I haven't received anything new this week but am currently listening to a Nancy Drew audio & reading The Paper Bag Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like that with books -- if I go looking around, at the library or a bookstore, I'll likely end up getting something though I have stacks of books to read at home.

    I think I've read one of Tamera Alexander's before, and if I remember correctly I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been a more spontaneous reader too, but this meme has really helped me be more intentional about what I'm reading. Otherwise, I'd never get around to some of the books that I really wanted to read.

    The Hidden Gifts book sounds very interesting. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no self control when it comes to books either. ;) My piles are always WAY bigger than I could ever read but it's so nice to have options!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome!!! Glad you wrote up a list. I don't often stick to mine, but I do like to think about what I might read.

    I want to read the Strictest School too. My daughter tried a while ago, and didn't like them, so I'm thinking now that it's been a couple of years, she might like them more. We might do a read aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate was a title that Stephanie from Simple Things read and really LOVED. I'll be curious to know if you like it also.

    Strictest School. oh yes. And I'm still badgering Jennifer about that one also! ;D heh heh heh

    ReplyDelete