Monday, November 21, 2011

Common English Bible, Week 1 (With Giveway)

I was recently invited to participate in the Common English Bible tour. I don't know a thing about it at this point. I don't even have my copy yet. (Update: I received it Saturday, but haven't had a chance to sit down with it, so I'm continuing with this post as planned). I decided to be part of the tour, though, because I like trying out new versions and translations of the Bible. I don't think it hurts to have different versions to look at and study. To me, it's somewhat like having commentaries.

I'll be perfectly honest and say that I don't have any intentions whatsoever of making the Common English Bible my "main" Bible. I'm trying it out solely as study tool. I may end up really liking it. I may end up hating it. I'll let you know my honest thoughts, though, as I go along. And keep in mind that while I am extremely conservative with my beliefs, I'm still just a simple, stay at home mom. These are purely just my opinions and thoughts.

The tour is running from November 20th through January 31st. For every week that I post about the Common English Bible , I'm given the opportunity to offer one of my readers a softcover edition of it. I just can't pass up the chance to offer as many of my readers as possible the chance at one of these to try out. So, I'll be posting my thoughts once a week throughout the tour. My plan is to give you the NKJV and the CEB translations of specific sets of verses, so you can compare and decide if this is a version you might like. I'm going to try to especially post controversial verses, to see how much, if anything, has been changed.

If you would like to be entered, just leave a comment with your (spam-free) e-mail, and I'll randomly draw a winner each week.

For this week, since I don't actually have the CEB yet(see my update above), I'm going to simply use some of the verses that were e-mailed to me.

2 Timothy 3:15-17 (NKJV): 15 "and from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus." 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

2 Timothy 3:15-17 (CEB): 15 "Since childhood you have known the holy scriptures that help you to be wise in a way that leads to salvation through faith that is in Christ Jesus. 16 Every scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for showing mistakes, for correcting, and for training character, 17 so that the person who belongs to God can be equipped to do everything that is good.”

Roman 15:4 (NKJV): "For whatever things were written before were written for out learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope."

Romans 15:4 (CEB): “Whatever was written in the past was written for our instruction so that we could have hope through endurance and through the encouragement of the scriptures.”

2 Peter 1:19-21 (NKJV): 19 "And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in the dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scriptures is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."

2 Peter 1:19-21 (CEB): 19 “In addition, we have a most reliable prophetic word, and you would do well to pay attention to it, just as you would to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Most important, you must know that no prophecy of scripture represents the prophet’s own understanding of things, 21 because no prophecy ever came by human will. Instead, men and women led by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.”

I'm new to the idea of "gender neutral" translations, so I'm not positive yet, but I'm pretty sure the CEB is gender neutral. At this point, that is very disappointing, if so! As much as I've been against "gender neutral", though, I actually kind of like the way it is used in the verses above. I have saw verses in other versions that I strongly disapproved of, so we'll see how it goes with this one as I go along. Let me know your thoughts about the Common English Bible so far! I'm just now getting started and learning about it.

The Common English Bible Facebook Page- When you like the page, you are able to print off some calligraphy Bible verses.

Common English Bible Web Page

CEB Twitter

Don't forget to leave a comment if you want to enter for a softcover Common English Bible . U.S. Only.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up with the King James version and still prefer that one but, like you, would like to try this one out. So, please include me.

    lkish77123 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete