Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Howl's Moving Castle(The Movie)


DVD Release Date: March 7, 2006
Run Time: 119 minutes
Rated PG (There's an extremely brief scene showing a partial shot of Howl's backside. At the time, he's in a weakened state and being carried to a bathtub).

Description from Amazon:

In Hayao Miyazaki's latest animated masterpiece, journey beyond imagination and enter a "breathtaking fantasy world" (Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times) filled with adventure, humor and heart. Sophie, a quiet girl working in a hat shop, finds her life thrown into turmoil when she is literally swept off her feet by a handsome but mysterious wizard named Howl. The vain and vengeful Witch of the Waste, jealous of their friendship, puts a spell on Sophie. In a life-changing adventure, Sophie climbs aboard Howl's magnificent flying castle and enters a magical world on a quest to break the spell. Featuring the voice talents of Jean Simmons, Christian Bale, Lauren Bacall, Blythe Danner, and Billy Crystal, Miyazaki's artistry comes to life on DVD with inventive characters, unique storytelling and richly detailed animation.

My Review:

I'm NOT an anime fan in the slightest way. I've attempted watching several different anime movies and cartoons. I think way back in my teen years, I liked Pokemon, but that's about all I remember liking as far as anime goes.

I'd heard good things about Howl's Moving Castle
, though, so I watched it. I knew it was based off a book by Dianna Wynne Jones, and this was a book that I really wanted to read. I didn't think I would get to read anytime soon, though, so I settled for the movie.

I LOVED it! It has quickly made it onto my favorites list!! When I watch a movie that I really like, in general I won't read the book, because I know it will ruin the movie experience for me. That isn't a rule, because I do have lots of exceptions. Howl's Moving Castle
is one of those exceptions. I'm actually left so confused at the end that I know I have to read the book. There's just so many details that I feel I've missed out on. And the ending....it is so incredibly rushed, I'm somewhat mad. So rushed, that it's almost corny! And yet, I still loved it!! I honestly don't know why I liked it so much, but I did.

Because of this movie, though, I'm actually wanting to give anime a better chance with some other movies. I have a few on my "hope to watch soon" list.

2 comments:

  1. I love this movie too. I keep meaning to read the book. I hear it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to rent this movie. Just read the book, and liked it. I heard the movie is different, but not sure how exactly. And I was a wee bit confused by some things in the book, so maybe the movie will help clear things up for me! :)

    ReplyDelete