Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Few Favorites for EARLY Speech Therapy


I'm linking up with Read Aloud Thursdays @ Hope is the Word.

I want to re-emphasize the "early" part! While Grasshopper still likes these books, he has slightly advanced past some of them. These are the books that got the most speech response and participation from him, though.




My Big Word Book by Roger Priddy

This is a big 80 page book FULL of pictures of objects and animals and just tons of everyday items. This is a great way to see what a child already knows. Grasshopper would point out pictures and say what they were. Then we could introduce new pictures along, too. This is just an awesome book for speech therapy!



Animal Sounds illustrated by Aurelius Battaglia

This book is about as simple as you can get! It has pictures of animals and the sound that it makes. Grasshopper loved it, though. We have lots of animal books, but this one got the most response from him.



Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr and Eric Carle

I've already mentioned this one before, but it really is great for early speech! We really like the Eric Carle books. We have several on our home shelves and checked out a couple from the library this week.



Peek-a-Zoo (Little Scholastic)

I definitely wouldn't look at this one and think of speech therapy, but it was one of our top books that gained participation from Grasshopper. I think at the time he was at one of his "low interest" stage in books. This one has textures and all that kept his interest. It also has lots of "general" type animals. (fish, lion, frog, cat, etc.) While he has advanced past this one now, I think Firefly will really enjoy it a couple of months. It is geared more towards really young.



Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?


We have quite a few Dr. Suess books on our shelves. I love that there's so many levels. While some are perfect for now, some will have to wait for a little while until Grasshopper advances to them. Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? is one that is great for early readers, and a great way to teach sounds.


I'm hoping next week to feature some of the speech type books he's enjoying more these days. I'm so happy he's in a phase where he LOVES books right now! We're reading a great deal more to take advantage of it!! I hate that it does come and go, but we keep trying.

3 comments:

  1. A couple of these are next to me, and they would be great to use with my toddler. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete