Monday, October 31, 2011

The Doctor's Lady by Jody Hedlund


Bethany House (September 1, 2011) 378 pages

Source: Bethany House review copy

I was drawn to The Doctor's Lady for the Native American aspect of it. It's based upon the lives of Narcissa Whitman and Eliza Spalding, the first white women to cross the Continental Divide and travel to the far west, and their husbands. In 1836, they traveled to Oregon to start a mission with the Nez Perce natives. The story is a mix between fact and fiction. Some of the plot was taken right from the journals of Narcissa(with a fictional addition, of course). That makes the book even more intriguing to me.

As much as I hate to admit, I was bit disappointed. Not completely, because I was very impressed with Jody's writing, and I will definitely pick up more from her. The Doctor's Lady isn't about the Whitman's mission with the Nez Perce. It's completely about their journey to the Nez Perce. I just adore good Fiction books about Native Americans(I'm NOT talking about "manly" books with scalping and all that.....I'll gladly pass on all those)! I really don't know of a whole lot of them, though, so I jumped at the chance to read The Doctor's Lady. I was just hoping there was more of the plot actually involving Native Americans. Other than that reason, though, there's absolutely no reason to be disappointed with this book. It's a beautiful book! If God ever blesses me to be pregnant again and I feel like I'm having a rough time, I'll have to think about Eliza, who traveled across dangerous terrain her entire pregnancy....sick and exhausted. She makes me look like a spoiled brat! ;) I don't know if that part of the story was fact or fiction, but I can't imagine how hard that must have been.

Most of the story is about Marcus and Narcissa, though. (Eli and Priscilla in the book). The missionary board won't let either of them go on their missions unless they are married. They decide to marry in name only, so they can be the missionaries they want to be. I don't think that you'll be surprised with the outcome of that! :) The Doctor's Lady was a very sweet romance.

*Thanks to Bethany House for my review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely review! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Sorry to disappoint you a bit on the natives. Blessings!

    Jody Hedlund

    ReplyDelete