Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace



1940
Source: Library

As most of you know, this was my first time reading Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy Books). It wasn't until my blogging days that I had ever even heard of this series. Although my family wasn't big into the reading thing, I was always reading something. I must have inherited my love of books from my grandmother! I always just picked up random things at the library, though, so I hate that I never knew to search this series out.

I learned very quickly that I have a great deal in common with Tacy. I'm extremely curious how her character will progress through the rest of the series! I have nothing at all in common with Betsy, so I imagine we would have been good friends. Two extremely bashful people aren't going to talk a whole lot, I'm guessing. My friends in elementary school and my best friend starting in 6th grade were all a great deal more talkative than me. That's really not saying much, though. Most of the people I went to school with for 13 years will tell you they never heard a word from my mouth. I have to be comfortable in my surroundings to talk, just like Tacy.

Now Katie said, "This is my little sister Tacy," And she added, "She's very bashful."
"Never mind," said Miss Dalton, smiling brightly. "I'll take care of that. I'll put her right beside me." And she placed a little chair beside her desk and put Tacy into that.
Tacy didn't like it. Betsy could tell from the way she scrunched down and hid herself beneath her curls.
I related all too well with this scene! The last thing a bashful person wants is to be put front and center, especially when they are already out of their comfort zone.

My favorite scene in Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy Books)
was probably when she met her little sister for the first time.

The room smelled of medicine, and the woman with the white apron was strange, and Betsy felt strange, too. And she didn't at all like the looks of her baby siter! But her mother was gazing at them with such shining eyes...Betsy couldn't bear to hurt her feelings. So she didn't say a word.

Julia actually like the baby. You could tell that she did. She "Oh-ed" and she "Ah-ed" and she said, "Oh, let me hold her. May I hold her, papa?" And she lifted up one of the tiny hands and cried, "Isn't she darling?"

Betsy was disgusted with Julia. Julia never did have much sense, she thought to herself. When nobody was looking she slipped into the kitchen and out the back kitchen door.
I couldn't help but laugh at that scene!

I'm so glad that I've finally been introduced to Betsy and Tacy!

4 comments:

  1. YAY! So glad you enjoyed it as much as me. Truly, I hope you love the rest of the series, too!

    Like you, I relate much more to Tacy than Betsy...esp as a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =D YAY along with Annette.

    I identify with Betsy during the first half of the series and with Tacy during the second half. So I find myself liking both for different reasons. I"m looking forward to re-reading this book this month! Actually, I'm going to go and pull it off my bookshelf right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the books in the mail today! Yea! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Love it when another reader becomes a fan. :)

    ReplyDelete